We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Schhol Holidays pricing 2015

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Topic
Schhol Holidays pricing 2015

Hi there!

Long time since Ive posted here, hope everyone is well!

Just a quick question, i have searched, but thought id get a better idea if i asked some of you wise people here. My sister is planning on getting married in Bali next year (YAY!) she seems to think that it wont affect price much if the wedding is during school holidays. As the dates she is roughly looking at, are too far ahead to get exact flight prices, can anyone tell me if this is correct or not? Based on this years dates, it seems that yes the flights are a lot dearer during holidays (at this stage she would be looking at term 3 holidays in 2015 sept/oct ) than normal times. I'm guessing the same would apply to accommodation too?

Hope someone can advise :)

Thanks.

Sorry for the spelling typo in title :)

Edited: 25 August 2014, 05:46
Queensland
Level Contributor
3,901 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Schhol Holidays pricing 2015

Hi, not too sure about accommodation, but airfares will always be more expensive than non-peak times. It's how the airlines make their money!

I would politely ask her to look outside of school holidays, especially if she wants guests at her wedding!

When looking at school holidays, don't forget to search for all states/territories as the dates will all differ a little.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Schhol Holidays pricing 2015

Thanks for your reply. Yes we have had that convo, but another close family member is saying unless it's IN school holidays they can't come, so it's making it tricky. A bit hard for everyone else who will have to pay heaps extra because of 1 family. I told her to be selfish and plan it when SHE wants.... we will see. But the more info i can give her the better.

Queensland
Level Contributor
3,901 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Schhol Holidays pricing 2015

Sorry that was meant to say 'airfares will always be more expensive during school holidays than non-peak times'.

I was invited to my cousin's (in law) wedding in Lombok back in 2012 which was in the Sept/Oct school holidays. I remember the airfares were crazy expensive, but I wasn't able to go anyway due to it being one of the busiest times of the work year for me.

That was also before Garuda and Jetstar flew direct from Brisbane, so Virgin had the monopoly!

If it was me, I would go with what was best for the majority, not the minority. Also, you are right, it's their wedding and they should choose to have it when they want!

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,629 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Schhol Holidays pricing 2015

Airfares out of Australia are always more expensive during school holidays and sometimes can even double in price. So you are looking at mid September till end September for the school holiday airfares.

Accommodation in Bali is more expensive during the months of July/August and September as well as Christmas/New Year.

July and August are the European Summer holidays and then mid September are the Australian school holidays. You also have the National Idul Fitri holidays on 18th July so will have accommodation at a premium because of the influx of domestic tourists.

If I were planning a wedding in Bali it would most definitely not be in the months of July, August, September or January.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
136 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Schhol Holidays pricing 2015

We are going this September holidays booked our airfares in March this year. We are flying direct with Garuda and paid approx $700 return which was a special. I checked the airfares for the same dates a week before I booked and they were just under $600 return (should have booked then !)

14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Schhol Holidays pricing 2015

We managed to get airfares for $1200 return for 2 adults and one infant during September school holidays this year, so I think that cheap deals do pop up.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
136 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Schhol Holidays pricing 2015

We are going this September holidays booked our airfares in March this year. We are flying direct with Garuda and paid approx $700 return which was a special. I checked the airfares for the same dates a week before I booked and they were just under $600 return (should have booked then !)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Schhol Holidays pricing 2015

Thanks everyone. I will broach the subject. Based on next years holidays that i can see booking wise, it will be a minimum of about $300-$400 difference. Times that by 4 and that's the accommodation more or less. Wish me luck!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Schhol Holidays pricing 2015

Good luck with that. We have to go during the second week of school holidays in April next year and just looking at the accommodation the prices jump quite a bit then and there is already less choice compared to non school holiday times. During the last school holidays my aunty paid $800 return from Perth whereas I have paid $200 return for early December. Luckily I got the tickets for April with reward points. I think it will end up costing more than an extra $300-400 once you take the accommodation in to account.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Schhol Holidays pricing 2015

Air Asia have a sale at the moment for those school hols