We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali is really expensive now?

14 posts
Save Topic
Bali is really expensive now?

I haven't been for 10 years but we have organised a holiday for September. My husband just came back from work and was talking to a colleague who has just come back. He claims (and has apparently been to Bali many times) that Bali is really expensive now. Apparently somewhere he was charged AUD$40 for him, his partner and their baby to get onto a beach, and then charged that to leave it too. He also said that at one place he was charged 160,000 rupiah for a beer. Apparently if you don't eat anywhere really run down, it costs the same to eat there as it does in Australia.

Can you please reassure me that it's still cheap in Bali? I haven't heard anything like this before, and it sounds pretty ridiculous. We are heading to Kuta, Ubud and Sanur if that helps at all.

Perth WA
Level Contributor
447 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bali is really expensive now?

Maybe the 160K beer was at a large international resort??? Maybe a Nusa Dua hotel??

Yes prices have gone up in the last 10 years, but so has everywhere.

Rest assured you can still eat relatively cheaply at good quality restaurants - we often have beers in good restaurants for 25k to 35k.

Maybe go back to your friend and ask where they bought that beer and what the 400k was to go to the beach?

I'm assuming the 400k was for transport??

Depends on how far they had to drive and how good your friends negotiating skills are!! Maybe the transport was arranged by a large hotel??

If you find out some more information then the people on TA can provide some clarity for you??

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
100 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bali is really expensive now?

blimin heck..if you think Bali is expensive you'd certainly never go anywhere else in the world..it is dirt cheap!!! there are certainly expensive restaurants,hotels,boutiques but on the whole it is cheap as chips as they say!!!

14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bali is really expensive now?

Apparently the $40 was just to get access to the beach. I have no idea why anyone would pay this, it seems crazy. I'm glad to hear this isn't a normal experience!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
642 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bali is really expensive now?

Sounds like an exclusive beach club like Finns. I never pay to access a beach, madness. Sanur has a long beach path, you won't be paying to access the beach. $40 will get you a decent room in Ubud. It's not expensive at all, if you see a menu that has 160,000++ beer on it, walk away.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bali is really expensive now?

What a croc of rubbish, anyone who paid $16.00 Australian for a beer must be crazy and I have never paid to use the beach, are you or your friend having a lend of us?

Bali is still one of the cheapest holiday destinations. Sure if you are silly enough to book one of the top end of the market resorts then you pay for it.

Yes the prices have gone up from ten years ago, but a small beer in Bali will cost about $1.50 Aus. Try and buy a beer at any restaurant in Australia, the cheapest would be 4 times the price.

14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bali is really expensive now?

Not sure why I would be having a lend of you?

Maybe he has very expensive tastes or makes bad financial decisions. Just glad to know it's completely untrue or at least rare to come across. I'm not too worried about the general price rise over 10 years. We were broke 18 year olds then, luckily now we have a bit more financial freedom.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bali is really expensive now?

It's not a crock of rubbish Wayne, the OP was relating what her friends paid. It could have been a place that charges to use the pools and provides a meal , I would definitely get the name of the place Annika so you can avoid it if you want. Rest assured, it is possible to eat, drink, spa, sight see etc for a very cheap price.

Have fun:)

Some of us actually do like to do some 'high end' in Bali once in a while and that does not make us silly either Wayne.

Edited: 25 August 2014, 09:42
8. Re: Bali is really expensive now?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 10:35
9. Re: Bali is really expensive now?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 10:35
Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,595 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bali is really expensive now?

There are always going to be a range of prices for things..your friends perhaps were not aware that they were choosing a higher end experience. Bali used to be more small local hotels and now more and more international brands and expat managers/owners are driving prices of some things, up. But you can always choose to be closer to the ground rather than in the stratosphere.

You can choose to eat in a fine dining resto or a small local cafe or warungs, it's all there. The same with hotels...some stay in low key local losmen or homestays and some stay in 5 star hotels or villas. I guess the point is to be aware of prices before you order or visit an attraction..

Personally, however, a visit to Bali is not just about prices, whether cheap or expensive. It's about the quality of experience, meeting local people and experiencing the unique Balinese Hindu culture. That is priceless.