We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the best route......?

North East England...
Level Contributor
516 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
What's the best route......?

Hi all, firstly, thanks for reading and replying.

In January were flying to Bangkok, collecting a car and driving (stopping here and there on the way) to Trang. From there were taking the ferry to Langkawi, then on to Penang. From there, we'd planned to go to Bali before flying home from Singapore - in 6 weeks not 2.

Anyway, during my research I've found we have to fly via KL. 😁

My question is, does anyone know whether we can fly direct from ? We can miss out Penang if we have to, also Langkawi. We spent 4 weeks in Malyasia last year.....this year - oops, and so don't really need to go back, we just loved Langkawi so thought we'd go back.

Thanks again.

London
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the best route......?

Elsa, are you asking if there is somewhere other than KL in Malaysia that you can fly direct to Bali? What are your UK-Asia flights? Are they return to Bangkok with you organising your own smaller hops around Asia when you're there? And have you tried posted this on the Malaysian forum?

North East England...
Level Contributor
516 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the best route......?

Thanks, not not posted on the Malaysian forum...didn't think of that sorry. Our flights are going from UK into Bangkok and home from Singapore 6 weeks later and arranging everything else probably whilst we're there. We may decide we want to go somewhere earlier or later. I asked the question because we have planned to go from Penang to Bali and I stupidly thought we could fly direct. Probably not. Thanks anyway, I'll post on the Malaysian forum too.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
854 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the best route......?

Hi Elsa, I just did a dummy run on the AirAsia website for Jan 15th(just picked a date out of the air but it gives you an idea), there's a flight leaving Penang at 7:10 am with only a 2 hour and 20 minute layover in KL for only RM357 plus baggage. I know it's not direct but you wouldn't be wasting many hours in transit at least. Arrives in Denpasar at 13:25. I hope you enjoy your trip, I'm actually off to Penang for the first time this coming December/January. Looking forward to all the great food, they'll be roiling me down the emergency chute when I arrive back in Melbourne.

North East England...
Level Contributor
516 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the best route......?

How fantastic, thank you. I saw your response to my same question in the Malaysia forum and thank you for that. You'll enjoy the street food there. We stayed in a small hotel not far from the food area and it was fab.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,814 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the best route......?

Hi Elsa - as far as I'm aware there are no direct flights between Penang and Denpasar. Your best options are via KL or Singapore. Try and make sure you're ticketed through though, rather than get a PEN-KUL then KUL-DPS flight, so that your luggage is checked through and you don't have to exit through immigration in KL/Singapore then check back in again.

North East England...
Level Contributor
516 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the best route......?

Good thinking HappyNoodleboy. I'll make sure I do that. Probably won't bother booking until a few days before in case we get distracted 😀

Thanks.

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,014 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the best route......?

Have you considered Cambodia and Vietnam from BKK and then onto Bali and SG? This would give you the chance of seeing somewhere you havn't experienced before.

North East England...
Level Contributor
516 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the best route......?

Yes we did consider both Cambodia and Vietnam but thought the bother and cost getting a visa for Vietnam for a few days a little excessive and really, we don't want to visit 'the places we ought to' so have discounted it. Cambodia....sort of the same. They look amazing but we started this travelling a bit late in life and have thought long and hard about where we want to go, and although Vietnam was on the list, on researching we've changed our minds. Thanks for reminding us though, and who knows? Our trip is evolving and will continue to do so whilst we're on it. Watch this space.

9. Re: What's the best route......?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2015, 05:16