We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Borneo honeymoon

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Borneo honeymoon

Hi - me and my fiance would like to go to Borneo for 2 weeks for our honeymoon but we're not quite sure where to go/ what t do. we'd like to maybe stay at the danuum valley eco lodge or something similiar, stay at a longhouse, see wildlife in maybe a river cruise and maybe even fit in a few days at a beach resort. We want to go at the beginning of April. Any ideas?

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Borneo honeymoon

Hi

With only two weeks, I woud probably stick to just Sabah (based on the information you have given.

You could stay the first few days in Kota Kinabalu to relax and get a feel for the country. We stayed at Le Meridien which was good for being in the city. Some might prefer the likes of Shangri-La Rasa Ria for a beach feel but it is far from the city (40 minutes) so you need to decide which you prefer. If you stay in the city you can take a day trip to snorkel in TAR Park (we went with divedownbelow), do a half day trip to the Monosopiad Cultural Village and see the night markets etc. Lots of information on this forum about things to do in or from KK.

Then fly KK to Lahad Datu and stay 3 nights at Borneo Rainforest Lodge. Book through borneo nature tours and pay the bit extra for a room with an outdoor bath tub.

I would then head to Kinabatangan area for 2 or even 3 nights for a homestay and river trips. This area is great for wildlife viewing but the palm oil has destroyed some of its beauty so I would definitely do BRL as well.

You might then want to include a day at Sepilok or Sandakan if you wish to be sure of seeing orang-utans or proboscis monkeys. You will see proboscis monkeys along the Kinabatangan but Labuk Bay proboscis sanctuary is supposed to be well worth visiting.

Then I would include a minimum of 2 nights at Lankayan Dive Resort island which is easy to get to from Sandakan. Great for relaxing and a lovely way to round off your honeymoon. If you are flying out from Sandakan, it may well be possible for the people from the Lankayan dive resort to leave you at Sepilok orang-utan santuary for the morning feed session before taking you to the airport.

There are some other islands in the Sipadan area e.g. PomPom which you might also want to consider but these require a bit more travel time - but still can be done.

As it's your honeymoon I would tend to maybe keep to 3 or 4 main towns/areas to avoid too much travelling.

I hope that gives you a few ideas.

Edited: 20 November 2011, 22:14
uk
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Borneo honeymoon

Hi we are also looking to do a honeymoon in May 2012. I have found tailor made packages come up to £2500 We were looking to book our own hotels and flights. How easy is it to use taxis or public transport to travel around Sabah?

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,258 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Borneo honeymoon

Hi sheenuk,

Are you planning to spend your entire honeymoon in Sabah? If yes, how long would that be? Aside from Flights, let us know what is your budget, maybe we would help suggesting the right hotel & itinerary.

Nickie

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Borneo honeymoon

Thank you very much for your reply! It sounds like you've got great ideas! Defo going to get my guide book out to check them all out!! :) Following all the recent stress of trying to plan the wedding - we're thinking of maybe basing ourselves at a nice beach resort so that we dont have to travel too much with all our luggage, but go on trips. Would it be a lot of hassle to base ourselves at a nice beach resort and go for 3 days to eco lodge and night at longhouse with perhaps boat trips and other excusions like the bat caves? Or is that too complicated and we'd be safer travelling around without going 'back to base'. Is there anywhere really pretty and 'beachy' in close proximity to those places? we're not too interested in cities like KK as we both work in London and want to get away from too mch hussle and bussle (please excuse my ignorance if it's nothing of the sort :) Thanks again - looking forward to checking out your ideas!! :)

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Borneo honeymoon

Hm, you're from Northern Ireland so if I say think of KK more like Bangor than Belfast, that might give you a better idea! KK has a nice waterfront and is a small city (more like a big town) with hotels etc Hotels like Le Meridien are near the waterfront. It is a very easy city to get around on foot.

KK has the best flight connections which is why I say don't rule it out. You could base yourself in the likes of Shangri-La Rasa Ria which has an orang-utan sanctuary (it looks after the young ones) and do day trips to TAR park for snorkelling, Klias Wetlands (for proboscis monkeys and fireflies) and do a 3 day package to Borneo Rainforest Lodge. BRL involves flights from KK but the lodge pick you from the flights so it is a stress-free experience and their scheduled departure times are geared towards the flights between KK and Lahad Datu.

Similarly if you want to visit the bat caves in Mulu (we did it and loved it - we went for 2 nights) flights are available from Kota Kinabalu. We went with MAS wings and the airport is a landing strip just outside the park - one of those "If Carlsberg did airports..... places" !!

We didn't stay at Shangri-La Rasa Ria but Nickie (Sabah Girl) should be able to advise on the resorts (There are a few others around KK so do read recent reviews) and she will almost certainly know if they are happy to hold your bags for you if you go away for a few days and just take a holdall with you. Some people have done a week in Shangri-La Tanjung Aru (in KK) and a week in Rasa Ria (40 minutes drive away).

So if some wildlife and the bats in Mulu are on your wishlist that might work well? Ok you miss an island stay on the east coast and Kinabatangan but it is your honeymoon so you will need quite a bit of R&R.

london
Level Contributor
976 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Borneo honeymoon

Hi there

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding.

I am sure you will want some luxury , but you will also want some adventure, as Borneo is a long way away from Northern Ireland and you may not get back there soon.

I stayed in the Shangri La Rasa Ria for a couple of night and saw the adooorable baby orangutans in the narture resreve there. Then I flew to Sandakan and did a 4 night tour to the Kinabatangan river , Speilok and Turtle Island. This was fantastic for orangutans in the wild and many many other animals. I then got a transfer to the Borneo Rainforest Lodge , which must be one of the most perfect honeymoon spots imaginable. However the big wildlife is probably better in the Kinabatangan River area. Afterwards I went to Kapalai Island for snorkelling , which again would be super -romantic. Turtles swim under your over water bungalows at night.

For a 2 week honeymoon the Rasa Ria , the BRL and Kapalai would be fantastic. April is a really good time of year to visit as the rains are finished by the.

I hope this is of help !

7. Re: Borneo honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2012, 10:23