We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Borneo with teenagers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
169 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Borneo with teenagers

Hi,

We will travel next year with two teenagers to Borneo for two weeks. Any suggestions where to go and must do's. Love to hear from families who have travelled to Borneo with teenagers. Love to finish in a nice resort to relax but at same time have activities /water sports for the kids. We love to snorkel and the kids love adventure and being active.

Thanks in advance,

South Australia
Level Contributor
351 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Borneo with teenagers

Hi Lionbear

Where in Borneo are you going ?

That might help with ideas

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
169 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Borneo with teenagers

Hi,

Just looking for ideas or suggestions.

South Australia
Level Contributor
351 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Borneo with teenagers

have you posted under Malaysia ?

Many tourists to Borneo would go to Sabah or Sarawak which are East Malaysia. If watersports are the thing then maybe Sabah.

I have been to Sarawak and there are a lot of activities that can be undertaken especially caves, wildlife etc. but not a watersports hub as far as i saw.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Borneo with teenagers

mcb5022 makes good points.

You will get more response on Malaysia forum.

And of the two Malaysian states on Borneo, i also think Sabah would suit your needs better.

However with two weeks you could visit both Sarawak and Sabah. I'd recommend a few days in and around Kuching (sarawak) for wildlife and culture - followed by some time in Sabah - maybe round things off at one of the Shangri La resorts near Kota Kinabalu (KK) or an island such as Lankayan with amazing snorkelling.

Mandurah, WA
Level Contributor
266 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Borneo with teenagers

Hi Lionbear,

If you're considering the Indo side of Borneo, I can highly recommend a visit to Tanjung Puting National Park to see the orangutans. I was there with my family (2 adults, 2 kids aged 11 & 8) in July and it was fabulous. Hire a klotok "houseboat" for a 3 day 2 night to take you into TP where you will see rehabilitated and wild orangutans, proboscis monkeys, macaques and if you're lucky gibbons. Not to mention other wildlife. The klotok itself is an adventure - imagine sleeping on the deck under mozzie nets with the jungle all around.

Prior to TP we also spent 5 days in the Banjarmasin area which was great as well. Touring Banjarmasin's waterways by junking, floating markets (possilby the best in SE Asia), an overnight trip to the dayak village of Loksado to see traditional village life and bamboo rafting, swimming in the river, semi-traditional diamond mining and travelling by boat out onto the vast wetlands outside Nagara to see the swimming buffalo. And the Banjarese are the friendliest people you will ever come across. All up it was a fabulous trip which I can highly recommend. Okay so no snorkelling or flash resorts but it will be an adventure your kids will remember their entire lives.

6. Re: Borneo with teenagers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2013, 10:15