We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused!

12 posts
Save Topic
Confused!

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to plan a holiday to Borneo for next year for my bf and I. But I'm not sure where we want to stay. I've seen the rasa ria resort and it looks fantastic and they have the orangutan centre which is great because that's a big part of the reason we want to visit borneo.

However we would also like to do an excursion into the rainforest. Would this be close to this resort? And does the rainforest trek need to be over a few days or is it something we can do as a day trip?

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused!

Visited Borneo 2011

Rasa resort in Kota has Orangs but obviously not in the wild .

We visited rain forest further down the coast around Sibu.

May I suggest you do a lot more homework before your trip.

This is a once a lifetime trip I would hate to think you had not experienced the really wild side of Borneo.

Rochdale, United...
Level Contributor
514 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused!

Hi Moonbeam

I was about to post some very similar questions, so if there are any more "experienced" Borneo travellers about.....some more advice would be very gratefully received.

If you get anymore info Moonbeam, maybe you could let me know and vice versa!!

Thanks

Morgs.x

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
128 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused!

Recently returned from my Malaysian Borneo experience, 2 weeks. This included a stop in Kuala Lumpur and 3 nights on island of Langkawi (AWESOME!)

Highly recommend a stay on Kinabantagan River and wildlife river rides! AMAZING. Did this instead of a longhouse stay and NO REGRETS! There are various accommodations and you can book directly (the lodges offer the lodging, food, hikes and river rides as inclusive packages). All budgets so some research is required to find your match.

The other highlight was staying at the National Park (Bako) outside of Kuching. You need to book lodging in town at office before heading to park. The probiscus monkeys are amazing and there are 17 hiking trails!!!!

There are so many options but you need to go armed with your priorities if you are on a budget and limited time.

Edited: 02 June 2013, 11:55
Mentioned in this post
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Langkawi
Langkawi
Langkawi District, Malaysia
Kuching
Kuching
Sarawak, Malaysia
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
128 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused!

Wanted to clarify:

Flew from Kota Kinabalu to Sandakan for orangutans (Sepilok) and drove by van to Kinabantagan river (2 hours).

Saw orangutans in Kuching as well. Preferred Sepilok experience and wild orangutans on Kinabantagan river eating figs while hanging from the tree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to experience Borneo would recommend some of the national parks ( they have accommodations) or to take a guided tour for a portion of the trip to get into the heart of the jungle. There are many Eco tour companies (see reviews). Day trips from a resort are ok but it is not the same as taking a jungle walk at 9 at night to see wildlife or waking up at dawn to see the orangutans and monkeys eating mangrove leaves!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu
Kota Kinabalu District, Malaysia
Kuching
Kuching
Sarawak, Malaysia
5. Re: Confused!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2014, 05:16