We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fabric Markets.

Jakarta
4 posts
Save Topic
Fabric Markets.

Hello , i just moved to Jakarta and currently looking for fabric markets/costume rental places.

I've visited already "Pasar Tanah Abang" and going to "Pasar Baru" & "Pasar Mayestik" very soon, but i think all of them are the same. A lot of Silk and batik fabric. I am looking for feather or feather accessories,for sewing costumes,also shiny fabric. If anyone does know where to go for this kinda items pls let me know. I appreciate your concern and help alot!!!

Yana.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
53,834 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fabric Markets.

It seems you eyes just oversaw the things you are actually looking at. All sorts of fabric are available at Tanah. All other places you can look into will be of fewer choices.

Additional place to your list is Pasar Baru.

Jakarta
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fabric Markets.

Thank you Schonefeld! Then i will look better next time i go back there .. I checked 1 fl. , and the 2nd i just run around & i considered it had the same fabric , that the 1st fl. , so i left ... i will look more detailed nest time .

Thank you very much!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fabric Markets.

At Pasar Tanah Abang Blok A, did you search the Basement Levels? It's where most fabric/textile seller open their shops. The ground floor and up are mostly selling ready made clothing.

P.S. Last time I spotted quite lots of shops selling blinky cloths (those gold/silver fabrics), animal print furry cloths, all sorts of textile to make a doll/ animal characters, etc... It's either to Tanah Abang or Mayestik that most costume creator on TV go to get cheap materials.

If you need other thing (such as accessories), don't be shy and ask around. Basically you can find everything there!

Jakarta
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fabric Markets.

Hello Cirque! Yes, i did check the basement of Pasar Tanah Abang. That's where i started searching. there's a lot of shiny fabric , but it's not flexible . It's another quality . I need to check Mayestik place before i come back to Tahan Abang. And the good thing is , that people are actually very friendly and helpful !

Thank you for your replay as well !

have a great day!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fabric Markets.

Well to tell you the truth, most of commercial items (especially the one used for show on TV, stage, etc) are using "that kind of quality" stuff (one source told me that it's common for a production house to set a budget around Rp50,000 only for costume for 1 person! how you will get that is by compromising on the quality - viewers at home won't notice it).

If you like the higher quality stuff, it's available, but it might be harder to find (as the demand for such stuff is not that much).

Alternatively, you can also browse the upmarket retailers (Mayestik has some as well, just outside the market complex).

I also happen to encounter a seller at Pasar Pagi (Glodok area) that sells feather scarf (the one that is used at cabaret shows), but the varieties is not that much (and again, it's only show quality, not for high-end market).

Jakarta
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fabric Markets.

Oh yes, you are absolutely right , because better quality fabric is not in popular demand for the customers , that;s why it is hard to find.Or , maybe because not much people really interested in this kind of fabric. Most of the customers are into Silk and Batik fabric , which i find very exotic and traditionally beautiful.

Is Pasar Pagi (Glodok area) called ChinaTown as well?

It seems , like you are interested in the same fabric and show accessories same as me :)

Thank you again , the info you gave me is priceless !

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fabric Markets.

Pasar Pagi is further down the road from Glodok (Chinatown), but still in the same area.

8. Re: Fabric Markets.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2010, 07:15