We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interior design books

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
126 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Interior design books

I am in Jakarta for three days and I would like to get a few books on different types of Indonesian interior design. Can anyone suggest a couple of good bookstores that have a good selection of these types of books?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interior design books

Depending on where you stay, in city center area, you can head to these book stores:

1. Kinokuniya at Plaza Senayan, Grand Indonesia, etc. This Japanese retail chain stocks loads of imported books (including Indonesian interior design book written in English)

2. Periplus, this local bookstore chain has gone global; not only stocks printed maps but selected imported books as well. Location: Plaza Indonesia, Jakarta airport (limited stock due to shop size).

3. aksara, another local bookstore which specialized in imported books and accessories. Location: Grand Indonesia http://www.aksara.com/

4. Times bookstore, Asian bookstore chain, the main store in Indonesia is in Karawaci (suburb of Jakarta), but in the city, you can go to Pacific Place Mall.

Tips: if you know certain book name or ISBN, call them ahead and ask for availability to avoid disappointment.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
52,443 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interior design books

Gramedia has a vast selection on the topic mentioned. they also have on-line store

http://gramediaonline.com/

St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interior design books

I would rather not buy my english books in Gramedia after numerous bad experiences.. Their english books are usually not in a mint condition even though they are wrapped.. However, it is different case for their Indonesian language or published books, which are mostly mint condition..

Aksara, Kinokuniya, Periplus and Times is a much better choice.. their books are 99% mint condition unless opened.. english books only though..

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,443 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interior design books

<,I would rather not buy my english books in Gramedia>>

i would re-phrase you, Stefzzz, and I would rather not buy my english books in Indonesia, as the price is triple higher than the nominal. Total ( 3 times) rip off.............

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interior design books

surprisingly that's not always the case. some imported English books are comparable in price, no matter either you bought it in Singapore or Hongkong or Jakarta. Depending on publishers, editions, etc.

St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Interior design books

<<the price is triple higher than the nominal. Total ( 3 times) rip off.>>

Compared to USA, you are probably right because everything is much cheaper there.. But comparing it to Australia and Singapore, I don't think there's much difference..

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
52,443 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Interior design books

I compare prices with NOMINAL, Stefzzz.

8. Re: Interior design books

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 12:15