We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe if ALONE FEMALE going to Jakarta

Kuala Lumpur...
2 posts
Save Topic
Is it safe if ALONE FEMALE going to Jakarta

Hello,

I will be heading to Jakarta for the 1st time and heard many scary stories.

Basically i will arrive at Jakarta Airport on 11.00++pm, it is safe as alone female to take the taxi and going to Pasar Baru because i will stay at Tune Hotel, Pasar Baru. Any shopping areas around this hotel that is safe for me to walk over (alone)?

Any interesting place that i can visit as a alone female (for safety).

Please advise!

Thank you.

Bandung
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe if ALONE FEMALE going to Jakarta

dont worry. you will arrive at your hotel safely using airport taxi.

>Any shopping areas around this hotel that is safe for me to walk over (alone)?

you are not plan to shop at midnight right ?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe if ALONE FEMALE going to Jakarta

Hi orangegurl1787,

The scary stories are true, as does the scary stories about crime rate in Klang Valley. How do you survive to be in KL as a woman would definitely similar on how you should be in Jakarta(e.g. pickpockets are everywhere in KL and so does Jakarta)...

<<Any shopping areas around this hotel that is safe for me to walk over (alone)?>>

Pasar Baru is within walking distance (need to cross the busy street). It's like Masjid Jamek area in KL, where you can find few shopping centers, and shops lining up with textile stores (very similar to Jalan Masjid India in KL). To go to shopping mall, use taxi. Taxi in Jakarta is using meter, but for your safety, I recommend only to take taxis from Blue Bird Group.

<<Any interesting place that i can visit as a alone female (for safety).>>

You mean usual tourist attractions? All are safe as long as you take necessary precaution. Check out the list of attraction on TripAdvisor. None are walking distance from your hotel, but you can take taxi to move around.

IMPORTANT: The area around the hotel is not a lively area. It's a mix of residential and commercial zone with shops open only during trading hours (9am to 5pm). Shops at Pasar Baru open until later around 9pm though. If possible, do not venture out on foot in the evening.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe if ALONE FEMALE going to Jakarta

Best to just stick with the Bluebird taxis, or if you don't mind paying a premium charge then use the same companies Silverbird taxi.

Both are available from the same position outside the terminal.

Bluebird employees ALWAYS wear a uniform and they have someone arranging passengers into their taxis kerbside.

The trip will be metered and you will also be issued with a card with rates and zones. You pay the rate for your zone as an airport surcharge, road tolls are also paid by the passenger.

Make sure you have some smaller notes to pay the driver at the end of the trip as the often seem to have an astounding lack of money to provide change, break a larger note at one of the toll booths if you have not done this already at the terminal.

Ensure that you don't use up all your smalller notes paying the tolls.

bluebirdgroup.com/passenger-transportation/r…

Image.. bluebirdgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04…

There are two or three other reliable taxi companies but for greater certainty just stick with Bluebird.

Be wary though they have imitators that are quite convincing at first, or even second glance.

Hence the links I have provided above.

If in doubt print the page and carry it with you:)

Don't worry, unless you do something astoundingly odd you will be fine, generally the stories about Jakarta are greatly exaggerated.

Edited: 08 November 2012, 14:13
Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe if ALONE FEMALE going to Jakarta

I am not of course suggesting you should not be careful and remain wary.

That is the golden rule of travel and visiting a strange locality or city.

Jakarta does have lots of genuinely nice friendly people, sometimes they are just being nice, nothing more, and nothing less, other-times there may be an agenda.

Good situational awareness is always the travellers best friend.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,285 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe if ALONE FEMALE going to Jakarta

When you arrive at the airport, do not listen to any of the taxi touts. Keep walking until you see the Blue Bird Taxi sign...they are the most trusted taxi in Indonesia...maybe a litle more expensive but worth it for the safety and they will not take crazy routes or do any funny stuff...:)

Kuala Lumpur...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe if ALONE FEMALE going to Jakarta

thanks alot for all advise..and really appreciate it..i will take all advise as my reference.. :)

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe if ALONE FEMALE going to Jakarta

The comments by ubudpuppy are right on the mark, ignore those touts, don't even pause.

A slow steady pace normally deals with it if not familiar with the terminal and what awaits outside, not so slow you look confused, and not so fast that you become confused :)

Have a great time in Jakarta, it is a hard city to quantify, some hate it some love it.

Personally, I both love it and hate it, in the same breath. But I keep on returning.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
52,506 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe if ALONE FEMALE going to Jakarta

1/ ignore those touts in the airport, don't even pause.

2/ use blue bird from the airport. And Gamiya, City Express or Trans Cab are also fine to hail from the curb in the city.

3/ do not shop at night (LOL) and avoid seedy areas. Keep your eyes open and do not let your usual guards down. Stay focused.............

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe if ALONE FEMALE going to Jakarta

Uhm, just use airport taxi or atleast taxis from BlueBird Group / Express Group.

And for sure it's safe, as long as you're in a crowded place, and as if you go back to the hotel too late, make sure you'll book a taxi from the agent, not just stopping the taxi around.

About the interesting places.. Do you love history? If you are, Jakarta has lots of interesting museums you can jump around :)

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
52,506 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe if ALONE FEMALE going to Jakarta

<<Jakarta has lots of interesting museums you can jump around>>

lycheegirl,

LOL... various people have DIFFERENT understanding of LOTS.................LOL