We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa on arrival WARNING

Which Jakarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cebu City...
Level Contributor
98 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Visa on arrival WARNING

I arrived at the Jakarta airport about 9pm and went to the visa booth thinking this would be a trustworthy government office. I handed him a $100 bill and was told it is $35. I looked at my change and it seemed light, though I didn't think I would have to prepare for this and consider what the correct change should be. I asked what the conversion rate is and he typed 8600/$. I raised my eyebrows and said pretty bad, then went to the immigration line. In line, I looked at the visa and it said $25 on it. After I was cleared, I went back to the visa guy to voice my displeasure about being ripped off fully expecting nothing. He asked me to show him my changed then appologized saying he forgot to give me 100,000rp. RIGHT! So, I was still ripped off for about 10% on the conversion. Imagine how much this guy makes in a day from stealing from tourists! Welcome to Indonesia! If I was thinking clearly, I would have asked for a receipt. This is just a warning for those of you who will land, tired, in Jakarta.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
47,835 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Visa on arrival WARNING

Johanni N,

That`s OK and apology accepted. Still i recommend to start a new topic in order NOT to confuse your travel detail with those of the OP. We`ll help you gladly to solve all matters.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Visa on arrival WARNING

It is not rude at all provided you are posting the query which is still relevant to the topic. Since you have created your own topic, do find the answer there.

Cheers

43. Re: Visa on arrival WARNING

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 07:17