We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Jakarta for 36 hours taking a car tour worth the trouble?

san jose
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
In Jakarta for 36 hours taking a car tour worth the trouble?

I will be in Jakarta starting Saturday Nov. 9th at 1pm, departing to Sorong late sunday night. So I have around 36 hours in Jakarta. So I will have most of Sunday to look around.

I always like to hire a car to take a look around but I have read that I might only see how bad the traffic is there?? Does the traffic get better or worse on the weekends? I have been in Bali and thought that was some crazy traffic that was amusing, boy there are a lot of scotters lol.

My plan is stay close to the airport but can change that if going down town would be worth the trouble?

Questions.

Should I stay by the airport or go into town?

Is hiring a car worth the trouble for Sunday, if so what area should I check out?

I am 46 year old male traveling with my father.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Jakarta for 36 hours taking a car tour worth the trouble?

If you have 36 hours it's better to stay in the city. Traffic should be better on weekends, you won't find any trouble driving around town.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
52,358 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Jakarta for 36 hours taking a car tour worth the trouble?

john w, hello and welcome to TA forums,

1/ of course if you have 36 hours and the while Sunday, you have to stay in the city center, not airport.

2/ renting a car in JKT is WAY TOO MUCH HASSLE, as need a local experience ( !!!) to drive around here - street organization, road signage, traffic peculiarities and street congestion are all BIG issues. the best idea for you - taxi, all metered, pretty civilized and non-expensive. Recommended companies: Blue Bird, Express, Gamya, GrennGo, CityTrans.

3/ things-to do-see are listed here;

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g294229-Activiti…

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Jakarta for 36 hours taking a car tour worth the trouble?

Hello Jon,

<<I always like to hire a car to take a look around but I have read that I might only see how bad the traffic is there?? Does the traffic get better or worse on the weekends? >>

Traffic on a Sunday is relatively manageable but not on Saturday (it's the same hellish as other weekdays).

<<Should I stay by the airport or go into town?>>

Better stay in town area. Especially for first timers. Staying in airport is good only if you have time to catch a nap between flights.

<<Is hiring a car worth the trouble for Sunday, if so what area should I check out?>>

I recommend to check out the Old Batavia square area where you can see old buildings and some museums. Then proceed to Jakarta's icon: National Monument as well as visiting National Museum nearby. Other than that, you can visit some outdoor market such as Pasar Baru, take a detour to Jakarta's Catholic Cathedral and Istiqlal Mosque (the biggest in Southeast Asia). Spend the rest of the day at shopping mall before proceeding to the airport for flight to Sorong.

4. Re: In Jakarta for 36 hours taking a car tour worth the trouble?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2014, 05:19