We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for a 9 hour layover in Jakarta airport

Sydney
Level Contributor
32 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for a 9 hour layover in Jakarta airport

Hello Jakarta experts,

I'm just wondering if there is any new information regarding layovers in Jakarta airport as the previous threads I found are from some time ago. I am currently planning trip from Sydney to Amsterdam and have found a great fare on Garuda. However, the downside is that it will involve a 9 hour layover in Jakarta airport. The itinerary I'm looking has me arriving in Jakarta at 3.55pm on a Friday and departing again at 12.55am. I am assuming my luggage will be checked through so I will only have carry-on with me. Would it be practical to leave the airport given my arrival & departure times on a Friday? I've read that this is a particularly bad day for traffic. (not sure exactly where I would go though if I were to leave the airport? haha)

Otherwise is there anything at all to do at the airport? e.g. Is there a transit hotel or spa/massage facility located within the terminal where I can kill a few hours? The thought of an extra 9 hours of mind numbing boredom is the middle of a long Sydney to Europe flight is concerning me. Otherwise, I may need to just stump up the (significantly) extra cash for a much shorter layover via Singapore, KL or Hong Kong.

Thanks in advance for your help!

13 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Suggestions for a 9 hour layover in Jakarta airport

4.55 pm ..... the traffic gone mad at that time

Melbourne
Level Contributor
20 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Suggestions for a 9 hour layover in Jakarta airport

Hi PJ-SYD

I have actuallly booked this flight for mum and I. It is significantly cheaper than the rest. I got a great business class deal with them (just shy under $5k return - AMS stop on the way over with a Gatwick departure return and a Bali stop over on the way back - so I am going to put up with the Jakarta layover especially the Chrissy/New Year period). I remember reading a post previously there is a resort close to the airport that has a day spa, restaurant, pool facilities, etc etc to chill and relax. Just trying to go through all the threads to find it again - will message you once I find it if you like. Im also sussing out if we need to pay the departure tax if we can get a "transit" pass out - I did this is Hawaii years back and made it easier. You still go via security but have an immigration pass.

cheers

PK666au

Sydney
Level Contributor
32 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Suggestions for a 9 hour layover in Jakarta airport

Hi PK666au,

Thanks for the update. I too have decided that the ticket price over the Xmas hols with Garuda was just too good to refuse so will simply have to grin and bear the (since increased to) 10 hour layover in Jakarta.

I've booked a room at the RM7 Resort after having a look at the available options & suggestions on Tripadvisor - so hopefully I will be spending a few relaxing hours there using their pool/spa facilities and having dinner before continuing on with the rest of the flight to Amsterdam.

Cheers,

PJ

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
51,173 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Suggestions for a 9 hour layover in Jakarta airport

PJ_SYD,

Travel safely!

Sydney
Level Contributor
32 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Suggestions for a 9 hour layover in Jakarta airport

Thanks Schonefeld!

And thanks too David. I am assuming I will need to apply for a VOA since I will be leaving the airport and not staying airside at the airport for the duration of my transit time. Hopefully I will be able to purchase the VOA at Sydney airport and be processed by immigration on board the Garuda flight which will save me some time/hassle on arrival in Jakarta.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
307 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Suggestions for a 9 hour layover in Jakarta airport

Thanks for putting this question up.....in a similar situation. Booked on Saturday June 28 on business class arriving around 4pm and departing around midnight. I guess we can kill time (8 hrs) at the Garuda lounge (presuming its open throughout the period we are in transit). However, on our return in July - the layover is much longer - arrive 7am on Sunday morning and depart just after midnight. This is almost 12 hrs - given its a Sunday, would traffic be easier to negotiate and is it advisable to do a day tour of Jakarta? Is there such a tour that we can sign up on?

Any help/advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
51,173 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Suggestions for a 9 hour layover in Jakarta airport

scorpioshanghai, hi

In order to sort you travel details and NOT mix them up with those of the OP, please start your own topic.

See you there.................

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
307 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Suggestions for a 9 hour layover in Jakarta airport

Dear Schonefield

This is a forum & related topics are & should be placed together so all Trip Advisor readers may benefit. As my topic is directly related to the original OP's question & the timing is also relevant - I logically asked for advice here. Please don't make TA bureaucratic. Its a forum for travelers to help each other.

Thanks anyway.

Dear Jerot76 - appreciate your advice which is very helpful & will heed them accordingly. Thanks very much!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Suggestions for a 9 hour layover in Jakarta airport

Hi,

IMO spending 12 hours in the airport is too long. There's not much to do in Soekarno Hatta airport, so it's better to leave the airport and go to the mall. You can go to Taman Anggrek & Central Park mall (it's side by side), around 45 minutes from the airport. These malls are huge and much better than spending the time in the airport.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
307 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Suggestions for a 9 hour layover in Jakarta airport

Hi Radjaff

Thanks for your advice - being a Sunday, is traffic any better than a normal workday? How much time should I allocate to get back to the airport from the mall you mentioned? Thank you!