We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jakarta for 13 hours

Which Jakarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Jakarta for 13 hours

Hi all,

I would love to take a look at Jakarta but arrive at 5.45am and fly out again at 6.45pm. Is this enough time to get out and about could anyone please tell me?? If so where is nearby and easily accessible via taxi?? A couple of relaxed drinks would be my preference but this may not be possible at this time of the morning i'm guessing?

I have never been to Jakarta before, but have been to plenty of other Asian cities, so will not be daunted..hopefully! I will be travelling on my own and arrive in late June.

Would appreciate any advice,

Cheers

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,083 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jakarta for 13 hours

My one "must see" in Jakarta...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Museum_of_Indonesia

If it's still there Cafe Batavia in front of Fatihillah (old Dutch City Hall) is a great place for atmosphere...

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
48,624 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jakarta for 13 hours

Sean B, hello and welcome to TA forums,

1/ To answer your questions we need more details..... Late June is already Ramadan month ( Muslims worldwide observe this as a month of fasting) , so traffic complications and drinks/ food restrictions are inevitable. We need your travel time/details: day of the week, airlines and route????

2/ If you travel to Bali/ Lombok etc - general advice : AVOID connection in JKT, better chose a route via KUL or SIN.

St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jakarta for 13 hours

as mentioned by ubudpuppy, I will also recommend Cafe Batavia is a good place for a few drinks though it does not open as early as 5.45am.. It is right at the historical centre of Jakarta.. Check here for opening hours..

Since you are from Perth and arriving at 5.45AM (sounds familiar), I presume that you are taking the jetstar flight.. You might encounter delays in this flights, that particular flight almost never fly on time from PER..

http://www.cafebatavia.com

The nearest mall from the airport is Emporium Pluit and Pluit Village.. If you are keen for malls after that..

Cheers

Edited: 26 May 2014, 10:35
Perth, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jakarta for 13 hours

Thanks everyone for the info so far. I hadn't even considered Ramadan to be honest

Schonefeld, further to your queries..I arrive from Perth (Jetstar) on Monday morning 30th June, 5.45am. It is just a stopover as i am off to Europe the following evening. I am pretty keen to get out of the airport but not at the expense of missing my on-flight!

Is Pluit Village a realistic option, as someone mentioned? A mall or two, a stroll and some food, followed by a holiday drink in a decent bar might be nice if doable?

Or should i just take the easy way out and get a hotel room near the airport and rest up?? Sounds kinda boring though..

Would really appreciate peoples thoughts

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
48,624 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jakarta for 13 hours

Sean B, hi

Your details are essential......So, getting to a mall in your case is no problem, but all malls open door at 9 am to visitors, not earlier. My suggestion , not Pluit Village ( that is small), but Mall Taman Angrekk

www.taman-anggrek-mall.com/about/concept

The places offers all sort of dining option, skating ring, massage service, shopping, cinema etc. Almost next door is another ( newer) mall - Central Park, that you may also check. Additionally Taman Angrekk is very conveniently located on the WAY to the airport, about 20 min drive without a single traffic light. Visiting waterboom in Pondok Indah Kapuk is also and option for you.

http://www.waterbom-jakarta.com/

A nice drink during Ramadan ( as you understand) will be a bit problematic though - bars in major hotels do serve alcohol.....But sure a glass of beer in any restaurant in the mall is not a problem at all too.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
48,624 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jakarta for 13 hours

<<Or should i just take the easy way out and get a hotel room near the airport and rest up??>>

Honestly i would do it if i were you.....

Bogor, Indonesia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jakarta for 13 hours

Hi Sean,

Agree to several suggestion mentioned, you better to go only to 2 places.. Firstly you can visit "MONUMEN NASIONAL", or we called it MONAS, as this is an icon of Jakarta. You can take DAMRI bus from airport to GAMBIR, and straight away you will reach the destination. It is approximately will take 1-2 hours as you will enter the rush morning hours. You can walk around the site, and take a photograph also for National Palace, also Bundaran HI (maybe 15-20 minutes walk). You can buy a ticket in MONAS to go to the top of the monument and see whole Jakarta city from above. At the afternoon, you can directly hoop to OLD CITY area. You can visit Fatahillah Museum, Cafe Batavia for some local foods, and enjoy the atmosphere there. Limit your visit until 3 pm, and you directly need to go to airport, as you will need another 1 - 2 hours to airport, as The traffic might not be good. Hope it helps.

8. Re: Jakarta for 13 hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2015, 05:16