We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jakarta Trip Advice Needed

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Jakarta Trip Advice Needed

Hi all, I am trying to plan a trip for 2 (couple) in Indonesia for the first time and the first stop is Jakarta.

1. We need help in choosing a good part of the town where to book our hotel. I read everywhere how hard it is to travel around the city. We would like to try as much food as we can, restaurants (any kind, the best ones from TripA also) and street food, as well as seeing as much as we can of the important landmarks/monuments in the city. Walk, stop for a drink, go on, stop for food, take a cab and so on. Here are a few hotels that I first picked and we would stay in any or none of them if the area is not good for what we want: Pullman Jakarta Central Park, The Grove Suites, JS Luwansa Hotel & Convention Center and Artotel Jakarta - Thamrin.

2. Right now we have planned our visit for December 23 (arriving late in the evening) - 29. I wonder if this is too much, I read it is not a very tourist friendly city. From here we're moving on to Bali, then maybe Yogyakarta. The 3rd destination can change depending the time we decide to spend on Jakarta.

Thanks for reading!

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,632 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jakarta Trip Advice Needed

6 days in Jakarta as a start to your Indonesia trip seems way too long to me. How long is the entire trip? Jakarta is not a place to eat street food or go for strolls at all. There is very little charm to it unlike other cities like Hanoi, Bangkok, Colombo, Delhi or even Kuala Lumpur. However when yiu do stay in Jakarta I prefer areas like Menteng or near the Plaza Indonesia so you at least can see some trees and older houses in the neighborhood . Good luck and have fun planning.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,632 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jakarta Trip Advice Needed

6 days in Jakarta as a start to your Indonesia trip seems way too long to me. How long is the entire trip? Jakarta is not a place to eat street food or go for strolls at all. There is very little charm to it unlike other cities like Hanoi, Bangkok, Colombo, Delhi or even Kuala Lumpur. However when yiu do stay in Jakarta I prefer areas like Menteng or near the Plaza Indonesia so you at least can see some trees and older houses in the neighborhood . Good luck and have fun planning.

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jakarta Trip Advice Needed

Thanks a lot for the reply and helpful advice! Our trip in Indonesia will be 19 days long. I was starting to get the same feel about Jakarta, but your post convinced me.

I will allocate 1-2 days for Jakarta, I was thinking 8-9 days for Bali. That leaves me 8-10 days for another destination. It is too much for Yogyakarta for sure. Not sure what else to choose. A trip to another area like Kalimantan or Sulawesi seems to take a lot of time, but maybe it is doable in 8 days or so. I just don't want to spend half of the vacation on the plane :) If its a problem with asking general Indonesia questions here, I will open another thread.

Bandung
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jakarta Trip Advice Needed

stay at city center is better. not too far from train station.

also you may consider bandung. if have time.

Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jakarta Trip Advice Needed

Hi....

I suggest Jakarta + Bandung for 6 days, Bali for 1 week, Jogjakarta+surrounding for the remaining time.

Please google: Surakarta, Bromo, and Dieng. Those 3 places (choose 1 or 2) can be combined with Jogjakarta.

Good luck...

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
50,586 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jakarta Trip Advice Needed

nonpattern, hello and w elcome to TA forums

1/ your understanding of JKT as <<not a very tourist friendly city. >> is correct.. We have decent shopping, nice food/ bar/ restaurant/ nightlife options.... and THAT`s about all. The rest is horrendous traffic jams, water contamination, health/ hygiene/ decease issues, possible flood ( you arrive at rainy season), pollution, lack of public transport and run down historical buildings and points of interest ( few, oh, so very few).

So... 2 days in JKT is certainly enough, there are FAR nicer parts of the country that you ma visit and enjoy, do not waste your time.

2/ For hotel accommodation, chose among: Pullman Jakarta ( not central park), Holiday Inn Express. All Seasons, mandarin oriental, Double tree by Hilton. Morissey, Harris Fx suites....etc

3// <<If its a problem with asking general Indonesia questions here>>

Totally Ok, you are welcome to ask anything in here , but Bali forum is more specific about the destination, and DEs from there are most helpful guys.

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jakarta Trip Advice Needed

Thank you all for the replies and advice!

cakur and yongki c: I am researching those places you mentioned right now.

Schonefeld: Thanks for the welcome! :) Ok, you guys convinced me about Jakarta, I will allocate 1 day for that, just to get some rest after the long flight.

I have other questions about Jakarta, just to finish with that.

1. We fly-in and fly-out of Jakarta and getting from the hotel to the airport will play a big role in my planning. Can you please tell me which is the best option and how much does it usually take to get to the airport? I will consider the hotels Schonefeld has advised. I would take a cab and have no problems getting up early morning if that would prevent us getting stuck in the traffic.

2. I understand that Indonesian airline companies do not accept foreign credit cards and I won't be able to book the domestic flights from home. Is that correct? If that's the case how much additional time would I need in Jakarta airport for that. I have no idea how busy it is and how the things work there.

Edited: 20 August 2014, 14:03
Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
50,586 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jakarta Trip Advice Needed

nonpattern, hi

1/ Honestly... if you allocate ONE day for JKT - it`s still a waste of time/ money/ effort. You`ll spend THIS day in traffic jams to/ from airport and around the city. Every single day ( weekday especially) JKT is choking in traffic madness, and together with MRT construction that turned upsidedown our main transport artery (Thamrin-Sudirman) the traffic is just unmanageable.

2/ <, I understand that Indonesian airline companies do not accept foreign credit cards>>

Incorrect. Our flag carrier GA accepts all credit cards ( emitted overseas and locally) and offers best rates in their official page. Prebooking all you domestic flight is high;ly recommended BEFORE travel.

garuda-indonesia.com

3/Please also take note that in Indonesia airports departure tax is NOT included into your ticket, but levied physically from the passengers at the airline counter at check-in.

exception: GA domestic flights.

Please have it in mind and have enough IDR cash when you go to the airport.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
50,586 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jakarta Trip Advice Needed

<<1 day for that, just to get some rest after the long flight.>>

Airport hotels would be the best option for this purpose... check Swiss-Belin Jakarta airport, the newest and with full amenities ( pool, gym, restaurants, free shuttle to/ from terminals etc).

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jakarta Trip Advice Needed

<<1/ Honestly... if you allocate ONE day for JKT - it`s still a waste of time/ >>

Well, my plan now is to reach East Kalimantan after arriving in Jakarta. I need to arrive there around 2 PM so I can get a boat that doesn't travel after sundown at 6 PM, as I understand. In order to do that I need to catch a Lion Air plane from Jakarta at 5:30-6 AM. I'm not sure we are able to travel for another 9+ hours and change boats/planes 3-4 times after an 18-19 hour long flight with just a few hours of sleep.

<<2 Our flag carrier GA accepts all credit cards>>

Thanks for the info that is good news. I always book in advance, but I read somewhere that's not always possible for Indonesian domestic flights. Glad to hear that at least I can do that with GA.

Thanks Schonefeld, that's a great idea and it seems a nice hotel at a good price. I'll get this one.

Do you know if there are ATMs in the airport or hotels area in the airport? Any idea how much I'll be able to withdraw? I know banks have limits per day, but I don't know how much that is in Indonesia.

Thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated!