We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Necessary to hire a driver?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
116 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Necessary to hire a driver?

Hi there, this is a strange question but I'm curious.

It seems a lot of the posts here are asking for contacts for a driver.

Is it necessary to hire a driver? Or let me rephrase.. is it cheaper to hire a driver than hire a taxi?

For example, how much is a taxi from Jogja city to Borobudur? Vs hiring a driver for the whole day?

When I was in Jakarta, I traveled by taxi as and when needed, and it was cheap even when we were stuck in a jam.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Necessary to hire a driver?

Hi,

Renting a car will cost you at least IDR 350,000/12 hours including driver and petrol for in-town usage. If you plan to move from place to place, it's cheaper and more convenient to rent a car. Taxi is harder to flag if you venture out of the city such as to Borobudur or Prambanan, so you'll need to ask your taxi driver to wait for you while you're exploring the site, which means that he will turn the meter on while waiting. Or you can negotiate the price with the taxi driver for a return journey from the city to Borobudur.

Borobudur is around 40 km from the city, so it means 80 km for a return journey plus the charge for waiting if you use taxi. A taxi will cost you roughly around IDR 250,000 for that distance. Another traveler reported here that they negotiate a taxi price for IDR 350,000 for a return journey from the city to Borobudur including the waiting time.

Therefore you can weight the option yourself. Renting a car is better and cheaper than taxi if you travel to different places and need speed and flexibility. Taxi is better to bring you directly from point A to point B, although flagging a taxi is difficult sometimes in unpopular areas.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Necessary to hire a driver?

Hi, sorry to ride on this post. Can I find out the approximate cost if I were to flag a taxi for the following?

- Jogja city hotel to (hotel near) Borobudur

- Solo city hotel to Solo airport

Taxis run by meter as I understood, correct? tks.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Necessary to hire a driver?

Hi mrslye,

I have never taken a taxi from Yogya to Borobudur, but looking at the distance, my estimation would be around IDR 100,000-150,000 from the city to Borobudur. From Solo city hotel to Solo airport is maybe around IDR 50,000. Many taxis run by meter, but some driver will also try to negotiate a fix price instead of using meter.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Necessary to hire a driver?

Thks, Radjaff. How about taxi from Solo Airport to Jogja city?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
116 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Necessary to hire a driver?

Thank you for the comprehensive and well-thought reply. I suppose it would be better worth to hire a driver for some of the days.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Necessary to hire a driver?

Hi mrslye, not sure but it should be more than IDR 200,000 for a taxi. Soule, glad that I can help you plan your holiday in Yogya :)

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
58 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Necessary to hire a driver?

hi soule24. read your messages here re your trip to yogya in may. I will be there by friday, oct. 11 with some friends. we're actually looking for anyone who can help us know if hiring a vehicle + driver is better and if so, do you know of anyone you can recommend? where u able to find someone to drive you around?

would be lucky enough to get a response from you before our flight as i was just told now that we still don't have a driver in yogya. would appreciate any help extended.

thanks a lot.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Necessary to hire a driver?

Hi Johanna,

See the car rental section in www.yogyes.com. There are several car rentals there, you can SMS them one by one to compare the price.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
58 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Necessary to hire a driver?

hey radjaff. thank you so much for the prompt response. will check that site. thanks again.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Necessary to hire a driver?

Hi I was checking on hiring car and found your post.

I'm going on 16 AUg plan to hire a car travel from SOlo airport to Borobudur and stay 1 night there, any recommendation good and not expensive driver?

Thanks,

leelee