We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Japan vs Rest of Asia

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
713 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Japan vs Rest of Asia

We are thinking about taking a trip to Japan next year. We will be in Thailand this winter, and would like to take another trip to Asia in the summer. Would you recommend Japan or another destination in Asia/Southeast Asia? What is more interesting Japan, Vietnam, China? We will be going for 10-12 days. thanks

sydney australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Japan vs Rest of Asia

Hi,

I have traveled to Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia and Japan, personally I would recommend going to Japan.

I know some people will probably protest but I'd group Thailand and Vietnam together whereas Japan is nothing like either and is in a league all of it's own.

(my 2 cents)

Sapporo, Japan
Level Contributor
688 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Japan vs Rest of Asia

A fellow New Yorker!

I agree that Thailand and Vietnam could be more easily grouped together. In fact, you could put much of Southest Asia in that category of what the Japanese call "deep" Asia: religious, chaotic, exciting.

I live in Japan and I've traveled extensively in Southeast Asia, and I'd be inclined to favor Southeast Asia.

If you're looking for something different after Thailand (one of the best countries in the world for traveling), then try Japan. If you loved Thailand and want another Southeast Asian fix, then try Cambodia or Vietnam.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
713 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Japan vs Rest of Asia

Thank you very much for your help. Looks like it will be Japan. Do you think it will be too hot in July or August. that is the only time we can go. Being from NYC i am used to the excessive heat and humidity in the summer. is it comparable?

Bremen, Germany
Level Contributor
510 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Japan vs Rest of Asia

I've been to New York and Tokyo in summer and I think, it is comparable ... Best time to visit Japan is spring (Cherrytree-blossom) or autumn (coloured leafs, but sometimes typhoons...).

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,398 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Japan vs Rest of Asia

it's comparable. You should be fine being from NYC. As mentioned, Vietname/Thailand being quite tropical and developing countries, especially Vietnam. China is huge and lots to see, history and natural scenary, but again, a developing country.

Japan, with history and natural scenary, but a much smaller country so easier to travel. Though for historic artifacts, there're not as many as in China. Being a developed country, you pay more for everything in japan, although China isn't exactly cheap if you opt for the best. However in Japan, no one will try to sell you cheap junk, cheat you on taxi fares, take you to silk/pearl/medicine/tea/ruby shops and rip you off like in the other countries we are discussing here.

Sapporo, Japan
Level Contributor
688 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Japan vs Rest of Asia

Ekartash,

I'm from New York, and Tokyo in summer is comparable. Maybe a little less hot but a little more humid.

One solution is to head for the mountain, maybe Nagano or elsewhere. The highland towns are cooler. Or head north to Hokkaido, where I live. It's less traditionally Japanese, but it's one of the more pleasant parts of Japan in terms of nature and summer weather.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
143 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Japan vs Rest of Asia

Planning a trip to Asia December 09 and researched Japan and Thailand but want to pick only one. Japan seems more exciting but I'm concerned on winter weather. Thailand seems more rural and would love to get to Angkor Wat but the weather should be better. First time to the orient with my wife and eventually will do both. But need a push one way or another. Expect to fly out from West Coast and have 2 weeks on the ground. Your thoughts appreciated!

8. Re: Japan vs Rest of Asia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 15:15