We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone know about Smartours 10-day trip to Japan?

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
70 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone know about Smartours 10-day trip to Japan?

Friend and I would like to go to Japan next May (earliest we both can get away). Is this a decent month weather-wise? We are considering Smartours which spends 4 nights in Tokyo (Akasaka Prince Hotel), including a one-day excursion to Mt Fuji and Hakone, then Bullet Train to Kyoto (Rihga Royal Hotel) for remaining four nights. How does this itinerary sound and how about hotel locations--most important to us. Not a very long trip, but price is right and I believe we will get to see most hightlights in these two cities. Is this so? Many thanks for your response.

Brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone know about Smartours 10-day trip to Japan?

Hi Joelle,

I went on Smartours' Japan trip in July 2005 and a friend did it earlier this year. I loved it. The tour guides were very informative, but don't be afraid to go off on your own. Some of my favorite experiences involve getting completely lost on the subway and leaving the Tokyo hotel at 4:30 one morning to see the tuna auction at the fish market. The hotels were beautiful and included meals were great. I am not a sushi eater, but I was able to find a number of inexpensive noodle shops. We never got to see Mr. Fuji because of the fog, but the excursion was fun in any case. If you have any specific questions feel free to email me at BraidsL@aol.com.

Lorraine

Schwenksville...
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone know about Smartours 10-day trip to Japan?

Joelle, did you take this trip? I'd love to hear about it. My 15 year old daughter and I will be going in June 2009. Helpful to know it was a good experience for BraidsL!

Palm Beach Gardens...
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone know about Smartours 10-day trip to Japan?

A friend and I are also considering this trip in June 2009.............weather in June? Quality of the tour? Can we add a pre tour night and still use the group airfare? cannot get a reply from the company till after the weeknd and we are anxious to know these answers !!

Thanks

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,191 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone know about Smartours 10-day trip to Japan?

Rihga Royal is a decent hotel, a bit of a walk from JR Kyoto Station, though. Early-to-mid June in Kyoto is mostly acceptable, weather-wise.

los angeles
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone know about Smartours 10-day trip to Japan?

hi--joelle--two older lively women, much-traveled, are considering smartours trip to japan in nov. 2009. okay for mountains and lakeside? what do you think about travel insurance? any background info provided by them.--historical, political etc. are hotels centrally located? (with elderhostel sometimes you are out in the boonies, so no place to wander). how much free time did you have for museums, gardens? any comments welcome. thanks ruth

los angeles
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone know about Smartours 10-day trip to Japan?

joellle--two elderly lively women planning on 10 day smartours japan nov. 2009. weather okay for mountains?, hotels centrally located? background info--history, politics etc. provided? free time for museums, gardens, wandering? would appreciate any commnets. thanks bornrancho

7. Re: Anyone know about Smartours 10-day trip to Japan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2009, 08:16