We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yukatas and haori shops in Kansai region

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
435 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Yukatas and haori shops in Kansai region

Hi

I would love to buy a yukata or a haori. Can I buy them in department stores or are there special shops to buy them? I will be in Nara, Osaka, Kyoto and Kobe.

I know a kimono is out of the question because they are so expensive (and besides I would never wear one out ), but I am hoping a yukata or a haori would be affordable. Oh! and are geta sandles available in US size 9.5????

Is it best to buy second hand ones?

Any leads to good shops would be greatly appreciated.

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yukatas and haori shops in Kansai region

A lot of the "tourist traps" have yukata, but the quality is rather poor. The best I have found are in the department stores. You can find some for around 6,000yen that are very much like bathrobes (but are very nice, cotton lined) and in fact are carried in the sleeping atire department! The better quality ones in the department stores will run around 25,000 yen and up (and will be in a separate area than the sleepwear). The fabric is very nice and they are worth the cost.

Another option is to find used kimono. The handicraft center in Kyoto has them and the price is OK. (don't however buy their new polyester kimono!!!) If you happen to be anywhere for Sunday flea markets, check them out. You will likely find some really nice used kimono. Your hotel concierge will know when and where to find these flea markets, many temples host them once a month.

You might find geta in the tourist sections in larger sizes. They do have men's geta, of course.

Tokyo, SanDiego
Level Contributor
400 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Yukatas and haori shops in Kansai region

>>> I would love to buy a yukata or a haori. Can I buy them in department stores or are there special shops to buy them?<<<

You can certainly buy them at department stores and kimono shops. Kyoto has many kimono shops, but they are usually very expensive.

There are several second hand kimono shops in Kyoto that sell well-kept used kimonos and haoris. I've seen all silk kimonos starting around 8,000 yen. Here are some of them:

Issho (一笑)

Fuyamachi Sanjyo Sagaru, Nakagyo-ku

中京区麩屋町三条下ル

Tel 075-252-1920

Yaya やや

306 Furumonzen Ishibashicho, Higashiyama-ku

東山区古門前石橋町 306

Tel 075-531-4060

Shikunshi 四君子

Shijo Nishidoin Higashi-iru, Shimogyo-ku

下京区四条西洞院東入ル東側

Tel 075-221-0456

Are you talking about US women's size 9.5? If so, no. I've never seen a pair of woman's geta larger than US 8 equivalent.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
435 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yukatas and haori shops in Kansai region

Thanks for the leads, I will ask the hotel for help in finding the Kimono shops.........how much are haoris?

Tokyo, SanDiego
Level Contributor
400 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Yukatas and haori shops in Kansai region

I guess you could get a decent haori for ~5,000 yen.

5. Re: Yukatas and haori shops in Kansai region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 04:19