We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Return from different airport.

Merseyside
Level Contributor
48 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Return from different airport.

My wife and I are going to Japan at the end of the year .

We wanted to fly to Tokyo from UK airport but return from Osaka.

I can only seem to find deals on 'return' fares.

Trying to book separate fares shoots the prices up .

Is it possible to fly into one airport and return from another cheaply?

Merseyside
Level Contributor
288 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Return from different airport.

When I was booking flights I found that Opodo was similar prices whether you did return flights or in to one destination / back from another. I ended up booking Narita return flights as I managed to catch a discounted Virgin price but your plan saves travelling time (and may save on rail as one way train journeys are cheaper than railpass).

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,865 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Return from different airport.

This is called an "open jaw" ticket. In fact for some arbitary dates of Jul 12 -Jul 30. London-Osaka/Tokyo-London fare is USD 1170 while London-Osaka return is USD1308 using fare search engine kayak.com

When you "book seperate fares", please choose the "multiple city" option, not 2 one-way fares. Using a Japanese travel agency in London will also make your purchase cheaper and easier. A few of those have been mentioned on the forum before.

Merseyside
Level Contributor
48 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Return from different airport.

Thanks for such quick replies. Will use your advice and see what I can find.

Our son has married a Japanese girl and is living in Tokyo so we wil be making frequent visits in the future !

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Return from different airport.

In that case, you may want to investigate which airlines has the best frequent flyer plan. Flyertalk.com might have some information about that.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
427 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Return from different airport.

Hi BillyB

I have booked with Air France from Dublin to Tokyo, returning from Kansai (Osaka) via Paris (quite a bit cheaper than BA via London).....I phoned Air Fance because their each one way flight on the web site was quite high. I got half the return fair on each flight......so I would suggest phoning BA or Air France or KLM to see what prices they come up with.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,865 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Return from different airport.

The lowest fares are usually only available from the consolidators, hence the calls to japanese travel agencies in London.

Merseyside
Level Contributor
48 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Return from different airport.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Its the first time I've used the forum and I am overwhelmed by just how friendly and helpful everybody is ; I shall make a point of passing on any useful info that I might gather on my travels !

8. Re: Return from different airport.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 23:19