We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a skirt?

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
320 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Need a skirt?

This may be a silly question, but do I need a skirt or dress while I'm visiting Japan in July? We will be just site seeing.

Mentioned in this post
Likely To Sell Out
Mt. Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,190 Reviews
from US$147.80*
Special Offer
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
108 Reviews
from US$57.20*
US$76.30
Mt Fuji Day Trip with Lake Ashi...
945 Reviews
from US$133.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Tokyo Robot Cabaret Evening Show...
898 Reviews
from US$68.60*
Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a skirt?

Nope, can't see the need. I visited as a teenager, we just had shorts & pants. But if you want to wear one, of course you can!

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
320 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a skirt?

Ok, that's great to know.

Thanks!!

Tokyo
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a skirt?

Just make sure you have some clothes for hot, humid weather. It is like a sauna here right now. Skirt might be quite comfortable...

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a skirt?

Bear in mind that you may be in situations that call for your crossing your legs on "tatami" (woven rice-fiber floor mats) or kneeling! Go with a knee-length skirt or longer to allow for "coverage" :-) Since July can get "beastly" hot - the way Cincinnati was this past weekend when I was there - that'd be preferable to jeans or any other kind of pants.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a skirt?

Wear whatever's comfortable. The heat/humidity will turn your underwear into paper mache. Maybe one nice outfit if you plan to go out somewhere nice. If you're in urban environments, I think you really have to go out of your way to sit on tatami floors.