We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

reserve and non reserve seating on shinkasen

Australia
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
reserve and non reserve seating on shinkasen

What is the difference between reserve seats and non reserved seats (besides price?)

Can i get a non reserve that is non smoking? Surely for 5-10 min trips, you can stand right?

Yokohama
Level Contributor
895 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: reserve and non reserve seating on shinkasen

>> What is the difference...

The difference is price.

>> Can i get a non reserve that is non smoking?

Yes, you can.

>> Surely for 5-10 min trips, you can stand right?

Yes, I can.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: reserve and non reserve seating on shinkasen

Time between stops on the Shinkansen are usually much more than 5/10 mins. I always reserve, usually shortly before getting the train, as in my experience, empty seats in the non reserved section are usually in smoking compartments.

If you have a rail pass you do not need to pay for reserved seating.

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: reserve and non reserve seating on shinkasen

The price difference is inconsequential.

With a seat reservation, you are guaranteed a seat. Unreserved seating is first come first served...if there are no seats, you stand. If the car is already crowded, you move to the space between the cars or to another car, which if one car is crowded, they are all probably crowded. People can and do stand for hours. Non-smoking non-reserved seating cars fill up first.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: reserve and non reserve seating on shinkasen

When my son was a toddler he loved the Shinkansen (still does) but his attention span was short. We used to take him between Shin-Yokohama and Tokyo (Shinagawa was not open yet) and between Tokyo and Omiya without any problems if we had to stand (never did but for those short stints we would not have minded). Not sure about most people here but some just make a short stint to experience it even though the express premium is outrageous for those short distances.

<<<Time between stops on the Shinkansen are usually much more than 5/10 mins.>>>

5. Re: reserve and non reserve seating on shinkasen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 04:16