We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comparing travel agency exchange rates -- JR Pass

Jaxie
Level Contributor
64 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Comparing travel agency exchange rates -- JR Pass

I'm getting ready to purchase a 21 day JR pass for my trip to Japan at the beginning of July and have read that I may get a better deal by shopping around for the best exchange rate at travel agencies. I will be buying from a travel agency online (can't seem to find any agencies in town that offer JR Pass) but have had trouble determining what the exchange rate is at individual brokers.

Has anyone had success with this bargain hunting challenge?

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comparing travel agency exchange rates -- JR Pass

In my experience, it's not the exchange rate that varies, but the service fee charged by the travel agent. Seems that a normal fee has been $10, but this year mine went up to $15. The exchange rate varies from day to day (and hour to hour!) so it's pretty much luck and coincidence that determines your rate.

2. Re: Comparing travel agency exchange rates -- JR Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 04:18