We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Telstra mobiles in Japan

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Telstra mobiles in Japan

Hi there

If I have activated international roaming and have a Telstra Next G mobile will that mean I can sms home to Aust?

Also with this setup will I be able to sms another Australian mobile held by a friend in same area (ie if my friend and I get separated can I sms to find out where they are when in Tokyo using my Aust. telstra mobile? Thanks for your help!!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Telstra mobiles in Japan

I'm not sure if your phones will work in Japan. We have just got back from Japan and pre-arranged rental of 2 phones through rentafonejapan.com. You do it by email and they can send them to your hotel so they're waiting for you on arrival. They were strange phones but kept us in touch ok. At the end of our trip we just put them in the pre-stamped envelope provided and sent them back. The company is run by an English guy in Kyoto.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,325 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Telstra mobiles in Japan

what phone model? I see a bunch of models on the their website that do NOT work.

You are usually better off renting a phone in Japan (pickup and dropoff at the airport) and SMS is guaranteed to work (not so with roaming).

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Telstra mobiles in Japan

My Blackberry 8707g works in Japan and Korea for everything including tethered modem. You need a phone that does 2100 MHz UMTS in Japan. If you don't have a 5-band phone then there is a chance you won't be able to SMS in Japan. I know some phones work for voice but not for SMS when in Japan.

2100 MHz UMTS networks

North America: 850 MHz GSM/GPRS networks

North America: 1900MHz GSM/GPRS networks

Europe/Asia Pacific: 1800MHz GSM/GPRS networks

Europe/Asia Pacific: 900MHz GSM/GPRS networks

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,325 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Telstra mobiles in Japan

Sorry my bad... most of the phones on Telstra Next G are HSDPA 2100 (3.5G, not UMTS) but should work in Japan as they have deployed HSDPA. However SMS between roaming and local handsets generally don't work. Between roaming Telstra handsets, probably.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
629 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Telstra mobiles in Japan

Best post the Brand and Model to get an accurate response.

Ive done a bit of research and discovered my fairly basic (but 3G) Nokia 6233 will work when I get there (fingers crossed!!)

6. Re: Telstra mobiles in Japan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 04:19