We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 day itinerery - please advise

UK
Level Contributor
144 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
9 day itinerery - please advise

Hi -

I would really appreciate some advice on filling my tricky itinerary in late August. I am flying into Osaka a week before I'm due to attend a convention in Sapporo. 2 days after the convention I fly back from Nagoya. So, I desperately need to find the best way to fill these 6.5 day (before Sapporo)+ 2 days (after).

My plan was to spend the first 2.5 days in Kyoto, followed by 1 day in Nara. In the end, I wanted to stay for two days in Tokyo before going to Nagoya. Does this make sense or should I allow more days for any of these three?

This leaves me with 2.5-3 days to fill after Nara and before Sapporo, and I cannot decide on a good route. I am currently considering Hakone, Nikko, Himeji and Kamakura, but clearly can't do all - given also the distances and travel times. What would be the best choice(s)? And any other suggestions are also appreciated!

It's my first time in Japan and I'm keen to see as much as possible.

TIA!

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 day itinerery - please advise

Hi

My general advice would be: don't try to cover too much while you are there :-) My wife and I spent about 2 weeks in Japan and our main focus was Tokyo and Kyoto but with day trips to Hiroshima, Himeji etc. I can send you my trip report if you want. Send me a mail on gardkarlsen@hotmail.com and I'll send it to you. Have a great trip to Japan :-)

Regards

Gard

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 day itinerery - please advise

The big question is: how do you intend to get to Sapporo? I'll give advice based on the assumption you'll go by train.

I'd go to Kyoto and stay there two days. Take one day in Nara (possibly Osaka in the evening) and a day in Himeji, heading to Tokyo that night (either by shinkansen or overnight train/bus). Spend the next two days in Tokyo. Then head to Sapporo with your remaining half day.

I'd spend the last two days in the Nagoya area. It's close enough so you can go to Kyoto if you want to see something you missed (or see something a second time). But I'd go to Ise. You might also consider spending that time in Nikko or Takayama.

I'd look at a rail pass, or possibly an air pass to help cut down the travel to/from Sapporo.

John W.

UK
Level Contributor
144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 day itinerery - please advise

Thanks very much! I'm considering to take a two-week JR pass, which I can also use to get to Sapporo, at least one-way. However, as it takes so much time (I'd have to leave Tokyo at 12:30pm on to be there at 11pm) that I am thinking of flying there and back. The cost of the night train (even with JR pass) is not very different from airpass anyway.

I was not aware of top attractions in Nagoya area, but should obviously consider this now. (I have no doubts it's a nice area, but remember it's my first time and I am trying to collect the best experiences I possibly can - hence going for the cliches).

Thanks again!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 day itinerery - please advise

You could get the Hida Wideview up to Takayama from Nagoya and stay the night. The trip is really scenic and Takayama is a nice little town with an interesting historic area. There is also the Hida Folk Village, a 10 minute bus ride out of town, and it's a very pleasant way to spend a couple of hours. I can recommend the Best Western Hotel in Takayama - it's lovely.

UK
Level Contributor
144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 day itinerery - please advise

Thanks again! I am probably going to plan for Tokayama for the last day now. I can't stay overnight there though - the plane from Nagoya will leave quite early.

Day 1 arrival to Kansai, transfer to Kyoto

Days 2-3 Kyoto

Day 4 Nara

Day 5 Himeji am, leaving for Tokyo pm

Days 6-7 Tokyo

Day 7 pm flight to Sapporo (or train at noon)

Days 8-11 - business in Sapporo ;(

Day 11 late pm flight back to Tokyo (?)

Day 12? More Tokyo? Nikko? Hakone? What else?

Day 13 train to Nagoya-Tokayama am, then Tokayama all day. pm - back to Nagoya

Day 14 am departure from Nagoya.

Does it make sense?

If so, then there is just one day (12) left to fill - what should I do? I'm inclined towards Hakone or Nikko, but would have no clue which is better. Or something else? Help!!!

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 day itinerery - please advise

A couple of notes. First, if you use the rail pass make sure you're aware of which airport you're flying out of; Tokyo has two (Narita and Haneda).

On your return I'd fly into Nagoya.

Not sure if you have this link or not:

http://www.hyperdia.com/

Click 'English' in the top left.

John W.

7. Re: 9 day itinerery - please advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 08:17