We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

death of a Japanese friend

Denver, Colorado...
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
death of a Japanese friend

Perhaps this is not the proper forum for this query. Regardless, I need advise. One of my dear friends in Tokyo lost his father yesterday. We have visited his family in Tokyo on many occassions and have hosted him in the US as well. I have made enough faux pax in this friendship, usually of a comic nature. However, I would like to get this "right". Can someone please tell me what is appropriate in order to express my concern and love; comfort his family? Thank you!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
634 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: death of a Japanese friend

Sorry to hear about it. you just send a letter or e-mail with your sincere condolence. It is enough. if you are in japan close to him, you can attend his funeral ceremony at house or temple with bringing some money. But if not, no need to do so much. Do not send new year card with words of 'Happy'. I have sent seasons cards in Christmas for friends who lost thier family as seasons greeting.

New York
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: death of a Japanese friend

MHSyd,

Sorry to hear the sad news. When my relative’s/friend’s father passed away, I usually sent a special telegram called “choden/弔電” (costs about $20-$50) via KDDI and/or flowers (all white) to the funeral site. It is pretty common to do so in Japan or among Japanese people. However, as you live in the US and are not Japanese (I guess), sending a card with your condolence might be good enough.

If you are interested in sending a choden telegram, you may want to contact KDDI.

3. Re: death of a Japanese friend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 10:17