We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kakemono and Buddhist/Shinto-related items

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
Save Topic
Kakemono and Buddhist/Shinto-related items

Where can I buy a kakemono and are they very expensive? Do department stores carry them or are they found only in handicraft shops? Are they sold in Nakamise-Dori area?

Also, where can I find Buddhist-type altars/Buddhist amulets/prayer beads, if any?

Thanks!

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kakemono and Buddhist/Shinto-related items

Any takers?

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kakemono and Buddhist/Shinto-related items

I would try a good department store. Most have a good section selling things like that (kakemono, laquerware, etc.) And yes,if it's any good, it will probably be expensive. To really know however whether what you are buying is "worth" what you are paying you need some knowledge.

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kakemono and Buddhist/Shinto-related items

Not knowing which cities you will visit, my reply might not be useful to you. I see that your posted Japan but are mentioning a Tokyo city area which I don't know as well.

If you will be Kyoto there is a section of the city that specializes in (for lack of a better translation) "Buddhist fittings". There are many shops in the area that carry prayer beads, various sizes of altars, incense burners, everything you would need for a complete home altar set up. Leaving Kyoto station through the Karasuma exit, (so facing north) head for the intersection a little to the right and cross the street to the east side of the road (Karasuma dori). After a couple of blocks start looking into the small side streets, soon you will find the shops.

Yes, department stores are a possible place to find very expensive kakemono, but you can also find them in other places. The gift shops in some shrine and temple areas will have them, but you have to seek out the shops that are less touristy. You will have no problem finding what you are looking for.

Ontario
Level Contributor
449 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kakemono and Buddhist/Shinto-related items

I can direct you for "Buddhist-type altars/Buddhist amulets/prayer beads." Most of these items, especially amulets and prayer beads, are readily available in the shops within or at major temples. But they are usually designated as souvenirs of that specific temple itself. Other stores carrying Buddhist accoutrements are often found on the side streets leading to or close by the temples themselves. Again, they might relate specifically to Shingon or Pure Land Buddhism, etc. depending on the area. Shinto items can be found in similar places, though often the Shinto and Buddhist stores are distinct--one for each tradition. As for a Buddhist "altar," I'm not sure exactly what you have in mind here. Probably not a butsudan. Perhaps you want some items to assemble for a Buddhist shrine in your home?

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kakemono and Buddhist/Shinto-related items

JTRoth, JapanTravelteacher, Wjames5: Thank you all so very much for your kind help.

I know I'll have to go to less touristy areas to get what I want. We will not have much time in Tokyo but we will be in Matsue and also in Hiroshima/Miyajima. If I can get items in the latter places, I'd be delighted.

A butsudan would be lovely but I don't know if they come in sizes small enough for me to carry back home, either as checked item or carry-on. I had no problems in Cambodia with carrying-on a couple of small but hefty statues.

If I can't get a suitable butsudan, I would still like to buy things like a prayer bell, incense burners and even, if possible, a scroll with writings of the Buddha.

Thanks again for your input :-)

6. Re: Kakemono and Buddhist/Shinto-related items

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 03:17