We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking laptop/notebook to Japan

Brisbane
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Taking laptop/notebook to Japan

Hi all,

Yet another question!!! :)

I will be taking my Aussie laptop with us to Japan. I have 2 australian --> japan plug adapters - one 2 prong to 2 prong and one 3 prong to 3 prong adapter. Trouble is, my laptop is a 3 pronged aussie plug - and I am under the impression that the Japan 3 prong is not often used. Has anyone gotten around this without doing pulling out the "third (earth) pin"??

Does anyone know if there is a aust to japan 3 to 2 prong adapter???

Hope you can help...

Kyoto, Japan
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking laptop/notebook to Japan

US plug (II) fits in Japanese tri-pole and even sometimes two pole receptacle if a socket attached to the flat type extension cord. Aussie plug (/\) seems very different. You need to a buy conversion plug. 3 to 2 should be required.

The other issue is the voltage requirement; Japanese commercial ac voltage 100V. You need to double-check your power supply is universal.

I know the Japan to Australia plug is sold at stores for traveling goods at the airport and in the town of Tokyo. However, I am not sure if you can buy Australia (3) to Japan (2) conversion plug in Japan. Try to check availability at your local traveling goods shops. One of your choices is to buy Australia to USA plug, and pull out ground pole.

There is another thread asking the same question at the other BBS. This may help you.

www.gaijinpot.com/bb/showthread.php?t=46218

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
138 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking laptop/notebook to Japan

Hi, we are travelling to Japan in 10 days and have had the same query as you. Fortunately my Laptop has a two prong cord and I have an adaptor that has two prong japanese end and a multi prong end. (Bought the adaptor in Thailand last year). I am also taking a powerboard in case I need to charge phone, camera battery and laptop overnight. Maybe you could try and find a small powere board with two prong plug. This should then be ok for your adaptor.

Just a suggestion. Have a great trip!!

Deb

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,326 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking laptop/notebook to Japan

All sorts of adapters are available so I am sure you can find the right one. The Japanese plug is just like the US plug without the ground so it's quite easy to find. Any good travel store will have them, or you can find it online.

Most laptop power supply should automatically convert the voltage. Look on the power supply for the 100 to 240. If this range is included, then you should have no problem.

The good thing about Japanese hotels is that many of them give you free internet access. Bring a LAN cable just in case although it is usually available in the room.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,441 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking laptop/notebook to Japan

You are correct. 3 prong plugs don't work in Japan.

Since I am not Australian, I cannot speak to your exact requirements, but I bought a universal plug adapter (does not convert electric current, but it converts virtually any plug in the world to any other type).

I bought mine at a travel store, the type that sells luggage etc, but I did see them at the airport. They are fairly cheap to buy...but a lifesaver.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking laptop/notebook to Japan

Thanks for the replies - I have a few options.

I live out in a small town in North QLD so its a bit hard to go to the travel shops. I have been looking online but not much luck - anyone have a website that I can find a universal adapter on? Or a european adapter to Japanese?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking laptop/notebook to Japan

Are you sure you can;t unplug the part of the power cable that plugs into the wall from the actual adapter? - then you can just order a new power cable part with two prongs from Dick Smith or Tandy

I believe you will need to get rid of the 3 prongs though as I've struck the same problem in Japan - and I have yet to come across a travel adapter that accepts 3 prongs (BTW the Japan adapter is the same as the one for the US)

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,692 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking laptop/notebook to Japan

http://tinyurl.com/6et87m

http://tinyurl.com/5dvhnt

http://tinyurl.com/676p73

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,441 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking laptop/notebook to Japan

This is the adapter I bought...but it looks like only sold in Canada.

mapleleaftravel.ca/electronics/…

I think is you search amazon.com you could find similar, or perhaps an on line Australian Computer seller?

Toronto
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking laptop/notebook to Japan

If you cannot buy an adapter in your home town, try to buy one at airport (it might be more expensive) or as soon as you arrive Japan. They are available in stores like Tokyu Hands or Yodobashi Camera or even 100Yen store. If you are lucky enough, you may find an universal plug in you hotel room. Your device will work with only 2 prongs plugged, the third one is an Earth, there is a slight chance to damage your device without the Earth but it is not likely to happen.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking laptop/notebook to Japan

Thanks again for all your responses. I bought a universal adaptor from ebay so hopefully that will make do. Just hope it doesn't die before or during our trip.

cheers