We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Japan 30 days itinerary

Canberra
Level Contributor
56 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Japan 30 days itinerary

Hi,

I'm going to Japan from 4th Dec to 3rd Jan.

I've posted a thread before about planning for it, but I still want to get advice on which places I should still visit or spend longer at.

I've changed my itinerary a bit. At the start I was staying at Osaka for 4 days and then Kyoto for 3 days. I've changed that around so that now I'll be in Osaka 3 days and Kyoto 4 days.

I think I will drop Nagoya too, but not sure where to spend that extra day. Should I stay at Kanazawa for a night instead of a day trip there.

Here is my current itinerary (link to a screenshot):

…photobucket.com/albums/…JapanSchedule-1.jpg

Please help as I'm leaving in 4 weeks and need to change some reservations if I'm changing my itinerary.

Thanks,

Ina

Canberra
Level Contributor
56 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Japan 30 days itinerary

Oh yeah, I'll be using JR Rail pass for the first 21 days - highlighted yellow in the spreadsheet. Do you think this is ok?

Narooma, Australia
Level Contributor
977 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Japan 30 days itinerary

Ina -

I responded to your earlier post...we spent 1 1/2 days (2 nights) in Kanazawa and absolutely loved it, so would definitely suggest a night there. Kenrokuen Gardens, Kanazawa Castle, Museum of 21st Century Art, 2 giesha districts, a samurai district, fish and vegetable markets, etc. Like some other places, there are shrines and temples everywhere (close together, within easy walking distance) - each with some little charm of its own. We happened upon a traditional Japanese wedding at one, and a very non-traditional Japanese wedding at the 21st Century Museum on the weekend we were there. The station is modern - I was intrigued by the clever water clock/welcome to Kanazawa fountain just outside the station.

Miyajima Island could take a day and Hiroshima Peace Park and Museum commands some time.

If you're cycling across to Shikoku Island, and time/energy permits, I'd include a visit to the Ritsurin Gardens (especially if you're going to the Kenrokuen Gardens in Kanazawa).

Himeji Castle is also worth a look (2 or 3 hours, reasonably close to the station - there would be luggage llockers there).

Canberra
Level Contributor
56 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Japan 30 days itinerary

Thanks. So you think I should go to Kanazawa after Kyoto for 1 night? Do you think that's ok?

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Japan 30 days itinerary

Kanazawa is a different perspective on Japan. You won't regret going. (But I'm a bit prejudiced since I lived there for awhile. :-)

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Japan 30 days itinerary

Hi - I agree an overnight in Kanazawa would be best, lovely gardens and older buildings. If as a day trip I think you might find most of your time travelling.

While in tokyo also consider a day trip to Kamakura, on the coast South West of tokyo - an easy day trip I understand.

Canberra
Level Contributor
56 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Japan 30 days itinerary

I'm looking at my itinerary again and doubting whether it's doable.

Do you think I can skip Okayama? And maybe spend more time at Kyoto or other places?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Japan 30 days itinerary

I haven't been to Okayama but in my view the castle at Himeiji is more impressive. Depends what else ou want to see. Given you are travelling a long way to the east (as far as Hiroshima, Hakata, Kumamoto and Kagoshima), you might be best to add a day down in that area rather than make it too rushed. Unless its changed recently the Bullet trains end at Hakata so any other travel on Kyushu by train is fine but a bit slower. (Others might have a better feel for that). I think the days you have in Osaka and Kyoto look fine.

London, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Japan 30 days itinerary

Go to Beppu!! I'm there at the moment and its a fantastic break from all the walking and sightseeing. There are loads of spas, sand baths and a water park, and trips to active volcanos nearby and monkey parks etc..

Only if thats your thing of course but I've really appreciated being here after seeing so many temples etc..

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,211 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Japan 30 days itinerary

Lynn S--how many days are you staying in Beppu for?

Reason I ask is I will be there 2 days with my son on an upcoming trip and was wondering if you think 2 days is sufficient or .... (Other Kyushu stops will be Nagasaki, and Kagoshima with 3 nights in Fukuoka as a base hotel and then 2 nights in Beppu)

My son won't be that interested in temples/shrines after he sees one or two of them so I thought Beppu would be a nice change of pace--will be staying at Seawave Hotel.

Canberra
Level Contributor
56 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Japan 30 days itinerary

I did want to go to Beppu..but wasn't sure if it's on the track I'm travelling. Plus, not sure if I can change my itinerary around much since I've booked all my hotels.