We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

souvenir shopping in Tokyo or Kyoto

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
97 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
souvenir shopping in Tokyo or Kyoto

we're visiting Japan in april and will be visiting both Tokyo and Kyoto. I'm looking for some nice quality souvenirs for myself and some nice but cheap gifts for friends. Where should I get my souvenirs from, Tokyo or Kyoto? Which city has better quality for better price? I hate to visit Kyoto thinking that I'll get everything from Tokyo later only to realize that things were better in Kyoto. Thanks.

Kyoto Station Building
Architectural Buildings, Shopping Malls
Kitchen Town (Kappabashi)
Neighbourhoods, Points of Interest & Landmarks,
Tsukiji Jogaii Market
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Flea & Street Markets
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51,171 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: souvenir shopping in Tokyo or Kyoto

A fun spot for shopping - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyu_Hands

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,718 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: souvenir shopping in Tokyo or Kyoto

If you see something nice in Kyoto, buy it for yourself--you may never see it again. The street leading up to Kiyomizudera has some nice shops, as I recall.

The last time I needed to pick up things for my friends, I found a couple of nice stores in Asakusa. Not in Nakamise, the row of souvenier stores on the way to the temple, but turning right onto the shopping street that intersects Nakamise on my way back. Theres a store that sells ceramics and a bit of lacquerware and another that has traditional fans and the like. I don't remember the names but just look in the windows. Narita airport also has souvenier stores selling the whole range from tacky to rather nice.

Oz
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: souvenir shopping in Tokyo or Kyoto

Good Morning :-)

Just to add to Kiyomizudera- as Roger has mentioned there are sovenir shops leading all the way up to Kiyomizudera. Kyoto is apparently known for its crafts, Kimono fabrics and ceramics.

There is a fantastic ceramics shop (come cafe/restaurant) about half way up the alley on right hand side. Georgeous products and assistants may be able to help organize safe shipment for you. Highly recommend the restaurant too.

On our last trip we ventured down the alley/street parallel to the main alley and stummbled upon a shop where the gentleman makes sandalwood combs, wigs for the Maiko and adornments. These seemed unique to Kyoto.

At the time we were rushed and regret not getting more products. On our next trip we will be making sure we visit again.

The airports are also good for emergency gifts.

seattle
Level Contributor
677 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: souvenir shopping in Tokyo or Kyoto

In Tokyo, for traditional handicrafts from Japan: Bingoya. A pretty wide variety and a range of prices to choose from. There are ceramics, tableware, woven and dyed fabrics, calligraphy, toys and on. Not the usual "Japanese" things we see in the U.S. Just perusing the store is an experience. We purchased place mats and some other things as gifts. Next time, I'm going back for sake cups.

It's located just across the street from the Oedo Line's Wakamatsu-Kawada subway station. Here is their website:

http://www.quasar.nu/bingoya/

Just click on the links even if in Japanese. They lead to photos of the store and the things they carry.

5. Re: souvenir shopping in Tokyo or Kyoto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 03:16