We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to print some documents while in Japan

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Need to print some documents while in Japan

In the past, I've always printed at my office or taken a small travel printer with me if I needed to do a lot of printing at my hotel. This time, I need to print some formal letters that will be composed after I arrive. Has anyone ever used Kinkos or a public computer for printing? I can upload them to google docs and print from there or transfer them via USB key (any recommendations as to what format to transfer in?) to a public computer. Or, I can even take my laptop with me and print from there. I don't need a lot of pages (maybe 3-5) but I need something better than hotel FAX quality (which is what I do if I just need something rough). I'm guessing that Kinkos is the way to go but I've never used them for that (they are excellent for getting business cards printed up overnight, though).

Yokohama
Level Contributor
806 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to print some documents while in Japan

Hi Route-san, You can get your document via online and print it out at Kinkos, or you take your USB memory to Kinkos and print it out. They have variety of papers and the printing quality is good.

You can also print your document at internet-cafes in town and they are less expensive than Kinkos but they have only one type(size) papers.

Kinkos and most internet-cafes accept Microsoft-word, excel and powerpoint file. PDF document format is best for all case.

One thing of my concern is US letter size paper is NOT popular in Japan and this difference sometimes makes trouble when printing. You had better make your document for A4 size.

Henderson, NV
Level Contributor
215 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need to print some documents while in Japan

Route...

Kinko's is the way to go. Like in San Jose, you can rent a PC or Mac and do it yourself or the clerk will be pleased to help.

However, in addition to the paper size issue, I also learned a small but important lesson. In the States Kinko's provides a folder and/or bag for your printed docs. I found that wasn't the case at a Kinko's, at least the one in the Ginza area.

I now bring a couple of extra manila folders or the sturdy plastic type with me to avoid damaging my business docs.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need to print some documents while in Japan

Hirano-san and Travelready,

Thank you for confirming this. I have Acrobat 9 Professional on my laptop and I can generate A4 or whatever size is required. The paper size is not important. I will also take a portfolio sleeve to protect it when I'm done. I always use the Kinkos just north of the Yodobashi Akiba so I think I should be OK. I will also have a couple of USB keys with me.

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need to print some documents while in Japan

Kinko is fine. I've used them before. Also most high end hotels have a well equipped business center for everything you need for a fee for anybody even you don't stay there. I've used Marriott and others.

5. Re: Need to print some documents while in Japan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 21:18