We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

urgent question about getting cash

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
urgent question about getting cash

We're in Shinsaibashi Osaka and went to get cash from a Seven Bank ATM in a 7/11. It won't recognize oue card this time (we got money out of it last year).

We have an ANZ Visa card with PLUS on the back.We leave for Kanazawa tomorrow morning and think it may be even harder to find somewhere there to get cash.

What ATM machines can we use? Tomorrow is Saturday, so does that mean Post Offices will be shut? We may be able to use them I think.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: urgent question about getting cash

I feel for you.

I used my ANZ Access card to get cash out of the Post Office ATM at Matsumoto with no problems on 10 April.

I hope the Post Office is open for you tomorrow.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: urgent question about getting cash

I sincerely hope you are able to find a post office or Citibank ATM open today. Did you bring a backup source of funding?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: urgent question about getting cash

Thanks Pamies and Route246

There's a post office not far from here and they're supposed to be open 9 t0 12 Saturdays so we'll try it before we leave tomorrow morning.

We ahve a credit card but lots of places don't take credit. Our daughter who lives here says she'll lend us some cash if we can't get some. Hopefully we'll be able to get some from a post office in Takayama or Matsumoto too.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,134 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: urgent question about getting cash

You can also use Citibank at Shinjuku or Ginza (24hours). You should never travel with only a single source of funds.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: urgent question about getting cash

Thanks Everyone.

We found a real 7-11 shop not far from our hotel and used their 7-Bank. It turns out that the one downstairs from the Comfort Hotel Shinsaibashi that we tried is masquerading as a 7-11 shop. It has the same colours but a slightly different logo, and I now think that it wasn't that one we used last year (I think I was mixed up with one in Hiroshima that was below the hotel there).

We asked at the hotel desk and they gave us info showing that all 7-11 atms in Japan can be used if you have the plus sign and various other foreign signs on your card. There seems to be a maximum of 50,000 yen per day though.

Bibmbob, last year we tried using the Citibank ATM in Shinjuku and it wouldn't take our card. But to all those with plus or cirrus signs on your cards, you CAN use 7 Bank ATMs, and 7-11 shops are everywhere. Just make sure it's a real 7-11 though and you won't have to suffer the anxiety we've been suffering.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: urgent question about getting cash

Actually, just because your card says Plus or Cirrus on it and it matches the logo on the machine it doesn't mean that it will work. There are a multitude of reasons why it may not.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,134 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: urgent question about getting cash

Have been using my "Plus" card at Citibank since 1999. As mentioned, there are many reasons why your card did not work.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,988 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: urgent question about getting cash

If you have American issued cards, don't bother with 7-eleven ATMs. Chances are, they don't work. I've tried several 7-eleven ATMs and have not succeeded getting cash from any of them. A shopkeeper at the 7-eleven in the Cerulean Tower told me that American issued cards simply don't work there. In April, I tried one near the Ritz and got a receipt for 50,000 yen withdrawal but no cash!

9. Re: urgent question about getting cash

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2009, 06:24