We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
215 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary

A friend who has been to Japan has finally helped me work out an itinerary. the last one I suggested using a ferry to Beppu etc was too much train travel.

Her suggestion:

3 nights in Tokyo (arriving Sept 2)

2 nights Matsumoto

2 nights Takayama

2 nights Nagoya

2 nights Kyoto

2 nights Tokyo (departing Sept 15)

Both my husband and I thought we'd like to see Hiroshima & this we can't do on the above. I'm thinking perhaps we skip Matsumoto altogether and go straight to Takayama then from Kyoto take the rail over to Hiroshima for 2 nights then back to Tokyo for the final 2 nights. From what I've read there seems to be more of interest in Takayama than Matsumoto and since it will be early Sept we wouldn't see any fall colours on the bus travel between the two towns anyway. What's the consensus here?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary

We've done 2 trips to Japan and have been to all those places, although we only changed trains in Nagoya so didn't see it properly.

Why do you want to stop in Nagoya? I don't think it has a lot to offer. Miyajima Island off Hiroshima is certainly worth a visit, more so than Hiroshima itself, in my opinion.

If you cut out Nagoya you could fit in Hiroshima/ Miyajima Island as well as all the other places.

Matsumoto itself really only has the castle, but it is a nice one and an alternative to Himeji.

If I were you I'd probably do

3 nights Tokyo

1 night Matsumoto(next day get the bus to Takayama)

2 nights Takayama (with day trip to Shirakawago)

3 nights Kyoto (with day trip to Nara)

2 nights Hiroshima (with day trip to Miyajima Island)

2 nights Tokyo

The bus trip from Matsumoto to Takayama has some spectacular scenery - nothing to do with fall colours, just stunning scenery.

Or you could go direct from Tokyo to Takayama via Nagoya and have an extra day in Kyoto. There's a lot to see in Kyoto itself, or you could do another day trip to Koyasan from Kyoto.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
634 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary

I totally agree with OceanSkyBeach. I would skip Matsumoto, head direct from Tokyo to Takayama, Kyoto 4 nights (including one day trip to Nara) and add Hiroshima/Miyajima.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary

Thank you, I'll have a look at that. My friend said Nagoya had TERIFFIC shopping and heaps to see their especially the castle. I'll check the site more for things to do in Nagoya

4. Re: itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2009, 06:48