We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To meet at Osaka or Himeji...????

Oz
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
Save Topic
To meet at Osaka or Himeji...????

Morning all :-)

My 'mental calculator' is in brain freeze mode today (Cold winter in Oz today)

We are wanting to meet up with some Japanese friends who live in Katsuragi, Kobe and trying to find and organize a central meeting place for a day's outing.

We will be travelling from Kyoto. My thoughts are to either meet at Osaka and possibly go to the Aquarium, Nara or meet a Himeji.... which of these would be more convenient for them for their travel?

Our lovely friends don't know we are coming to Japan, yet.

Narooma, Australia
Level Contributor
977 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To meet at Osaka or Himeji...????

Himeji is much smaller than Osaka, and the station is only 10 or 15 minutes walk from the Castle (the main attraction). If Himeji is as convenient for them, I'd suggest you arrange to meet in Himeji. They could suggest a locaation just outside the station - or if you tell them the train and the carriage you are travelling in, they might choose to come and meet you as you alight. Himeji Castle, gardens and restaurants/bars would be a pleasant day for you all...or there are some temples not too far away that they might choose to show you.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,129 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: To meet at Osaka or Himeji...????

It'll be a toss-up picking one over the other, I guess, but, distance-wise, Osaka is 10-min closer by train from Sannomiya (Kobe) than is the case when you hit Himeji from Sannomiya. When meeting up somewhere in the station complex(Osaka), locals favor, not invariably, waiting at Sand Clock at Central Gate:

photofriend.jp/photo/choice/41608/915702/ The above is located kitty-corner from Hotel Granvia Osaka, so you/your friends can't miss it. Um, the air-coned lobby area in that hotel may sound better though.

All of that being said, it all depends on where you go as a day? trip: if you set a sight on Himeji, go meet at JR Himeji. But then, if your priority being on others, like say Nara, I'd suggest either 1)JR Osaka/Hankyu Umeda or 2)JR/Kintetsu Nara.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To meet at Osaka or Himeji...????

I'm biased, of course, but I think Himeji is the easiest place to meet. And you could actually meet them in Kobe on your way; take the local line and perhaps meet at Sannomiya station (or possibly Kobe station; it depends on exactly how they go; IIRC Katsuragi is somewhere between Suzurandai and Tanigami). Himeji has some decent sights and good walking, particularly if you do Mt. Shosha; your Japanese friends might like this as many Japanese haven't been there (or haven't been since they were kids).

Another option, though, would be to do Arima-Mt. Rokko. That'd be a bit easier for your friends to get to, and if you haven't been it might make an interesting trip. If you're up for hiking there's plenty of that, and Rokko has some quirky sights (such as the cow pasture). It might be worth looking into it. You could cap off the day with a nice dinner in Arima (having a local help pick a place is always a boon; there's some good eating in Arima) and a visit to an onsen.

John W.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
191 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To meet at Osaka or Himeji...????

Why not meet in Kobe?

Get them to show you around their home town.

Sometimes that's the best tourism there is.

Oz
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: To meet at Osaka or Himeji...????

Morning,

Beautiful sunny (but cool) day here in Ozland :-)

Thank you all for your great suggestions... now I will be able to give our lovely friends the options since travel seems simple enough for us from Kyoto.

Thanks for the photo of the sand clock... what a lovely piece of work...

Lovely day to all :-)

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To meet at Osaka or Himeji...????

I would second the suggestion about staying in Kobe. It gets far too little attention from foreign visitors and has quite a few things to see.

Oz
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: To meet at Osaka or Himeji...????

Yes, I did originally overlook Kobe as a destination of interest...

Are there any recommendations... ????

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To meet at Osaka or Himeji...????

Try this: http://wikitravel.org/en/Kobe

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To meet at Osaka or Himeji...????

You might consider traveling on the local train to Kobe. It will take about an hour, but you won't have to change trains if you get on the right train. The shinkansen only stops in one station in Kobe, (shin-Kobe) it is not very conveniently located, you will probably have to change trains in Osaka, and it would still take about an hour.

Since your friends live in Kobe, ask them which station you should get off, and which exit you should then look for. Kobe stations are not very big, so you will have no problem finding the exit they suggest. Most likely your friends will be there waiting for you as you arrive.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To meet at Osaka or Himeji...????

I forgot about that, very good point by japantravelteacher. Shin-Kobe is relatively inconvenient (like Shin-Osaka, Shin-Yokohama and Shin-Iwakuni) so it's better to use a LEX (limited express) and go exactly where you need to go since it's not that far. Additionally, you might have to make a change at Shin-Osaka, anyway and that's going to delay you quite a bit.