We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drinking in Shinkuku

London, United...
Level Contributor
419 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
drinking in Shinkuku

I have read in a few of the guidebooks that a lot of the bars in Shinjuku are not very welcoming to foreigners, especially in the Golden Gai. Are there any good/non tourist rip off bars where non locals are welcome?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,711 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drinking in Shinkuku

metropolis.co.jp/tokyofeaturestories/364/tok…

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drinking in Shinkuku

Many foreigners live in Shinjuku, I don't live in Shinjuku but been to countless izakayas and bars, most there were absolutely no problems.

I would say literally maybe hundreds maybe a thousand places to go drinking, of that maybe less then 1% might not be welcoming of foreigners, but I've never seen them.

So I'm not sure which guide books it might be, but I've been to quite a few and never had a problem.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,420 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drinking in Shinkuku

I think bars are ok with serving foreigners. It's the other form of entertainment that has frequent restrictions to Japanese only.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: drinking in Shinkuku

I've been in two bars in Japan where I got the hairy eyeball from someone. Only one of those times did it feel uncomfortable, and I've been to countless bars in countless cities. As someone else mentioned, it's when you seek 'other' forms of entertainment that you run into issues, but even then not so much in Tokyo as in the hinterlands.

John W.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,711 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: drinking in Shinkuku

He asked for Gold Gai, and since most bars there have space for 5 or less customers each, they simply can't afford to entertain strangers at most times, foreigners or not.

6. Re: drinking in Shinkuku

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2010, 07:17