We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mobile phones

England
Level Contributor
121 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
mobile phones

I have been given different advice from two sources regarding mobile phones in Japan. One person told me that a quad band phone purchased in the UK would work in Japan and someone else told me that no phones bought outside Japan would work there. Anyone know the answer?

Yokohama
Level Contributor
857 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: mobile phones

both incorrect, 3G (UMTS) 2100MHz mobile phone with valid international roaming SIM work in Japan.

note: You can't buy prepaid SIM in Japan but you can rent SIM card at Narita.

www.softbank-rental.jp/en/phones/sim3g.php

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,997 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mobile phones

Quad band GSM phones do not work in Japan. 3G(2100MHz) phones current in use in UK do work. CDMA phones from North America also work, but for roaming only as they don't generally use SIM cards.

Edited: 11 February 2010, 20:21
England
Level Contributor
121 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mobile phones

hi - thanks to you both. I'm fairly sure non of our mobiles are 3g - I will have to see if a cheap one is available. thanks again.

4. Re: mobile phones

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2010, 05:18