We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

price of train tickets

Singapore
Level Contributor
221 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
price of train tickets

I have some questions on the price of train tickets found in hyperdia, please help me out. An example pluck from hyperdia site - Kyoto to Tokyo using Shinkansen Hikari (fare: 7980yen + reserved seat 5240yen). Is that the total price I have to pay at the manned station or there is an additional fee for reservation?

If I choose an unreserved seat (fare: 7980yen + 4730yen), does that mean there wouldn’t be assigned seating to me and I have to find a empty seat when I board the train?

From hyperdia website, the schedule and price only show till September, will there be a difference during November period?

Thanks

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,418 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: price of train tickets

If you purchase a ticket at the ticket window and ask for a reserved seat, you will get an assigned seat within a carriage. Of course, you pay the higher price.

If you purchase a ticket and ask for an unreserved seat, you will have to find an empty seat at one of the unreserved cars. Unless you are traveling during peak periods, chances of you finding a seat is pretty good. Still, a reserved seat doesn't cost a lot more so it's worth considering.

The schedules won't change significantly in September. Between Kyoto and Tokyo, there are so many trains daily that you won't even notice.

Singapore
Level Contributor
221 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: price of train tickets

thanks sammyfloyd!

I have done my maths for my train prices, but it seems like the price doesn't really break even. I read from the JR pass's website, "seat reservation can be made without additional payment". does that mean if i don't have a JR pass, reserving a ticket need additional charges apart from the price i see on hyperdia?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,418 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: price of train tickets

Indeed, with a JR Pass, reservations are "free" (you don't have to pay an additional charge).

If you buy individual tickets, you can select reserved (pay a few hundred Yen more) or unreserved seat. The charge is for seat reservation, not ticket reservation.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: price of train tickets

Just to make you clear on the point - reserved seat = seat reserved in reserved seat car. No reserved seat = must find empty seat in unreserved car. If all seats in unreserved cars are full = stand or wait for the next train.

5. Re: price of train tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2011, 07:17