We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hakone or Hiroshima for one overnight stay with teenagers?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Hakone or Hiroshima for one overnight stay with teenagers?

In between stays in Kyoto and Tokyo, we are thinking of one overnight stay. We will be with 2 teenage girls (age 16)...do the TA experts think it will be more interesting for them to overnight in Hakone or in Hiroshima/Miyajima?

Thanks...

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Likely To Sell Out
Mt. Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,204 Reviews
from US$145.20*
Special Offer
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
108 Reviews
from US$56.20*
US$74.90
Mt Fuji Day Trip with Lake Ashi...
947 Reviews
from US$131.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Tokyo Robot Cabaret Evening Show...
899 Reviews
from US$67.40*
London
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hakone or Hiroshima for one overnight stay with teenagers?

Hiroshima will be a long train ride - Miyajima even further, with local train and ferry - but only an expensive one if you're not using a JR Pass.

For Hiroshima if you're focussing on the Peace Park and an overnight at a trad hotel on the island, then one night will do I'd guess. Hakone has the "circuit" with several changes of transport, views, museums and walks ... I'd suggest two nights, giving your two evenings to enjoy the springs/fantastic food and a full day for the circuitand to buy some of the beautiful woodwork.

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hakone or Hiroshima for one overnight stay with teenagers?

In my experience, teenagers weren't too impressed with the whole scene on the usual route of Hakone (ie the bus, tram, "pirate boat" process).

However, they absolutely love Miyajima.

Hike up the mountain for some beautiful views.

Daisho-in is very unique and worth wandering.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3453.html

For a real splurge, stay at Iwaso Ryokan:

http://www.iwaso.com/e_introduction.html

If they haven't visited the Peace Museum and Park in Hiroshima, I highly recommend it and believe it is a "must do".

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hakone or Hiroshima for one overnight stay with teenagers?

The problem with Hakone that I'm anticipating is that kids get bored with nature after a day, so 2 days there is not really what we are looking at, especially as we only have 10 days. And I think the food will also be an issue in a ryokan - 14 dishes too unfamiliar to them. If it was just my husband and myself....

So is Hakone purely looking at nature, I guess is what I'm asking (which seems to be your point, japantraveller)....

Hiroshima/Peace Park is a place I think they (and we) need to see, I agree. The ryokan you suggest on Miyajima, Iwasoon, looks AMAZING to ME, but again I think the dinner will be a problem with the girls. Any other suggestions of places to stay in Miyajima please, that are upmarket but where we can have a restaurant meal...is that possible?

thanks again

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hakone or Hiroshima for one overnight stay with teenagers?

Hmm....good question. I believe that the main attraction of ryokan on Miyajima is the food! And there are not a lot of restaurants around because most people stay in the ryokan for the food anyway......

You might consider staying in Hiroshima and doing a day trip to Miyajima.

Leave Kyoto early in the morning, (ship your luggage to Tokyo and take only an overnight bag). Stop at the Hiroshima train station and store your overnight bags in a coin locker. Spend the day at Miyajima, come back to Hiroshima late afternoon and check in to your hotel. Next morning see the Peace Park and Museum, then spend the afternoon on the train to Tokyo, or spend another night in Hiroshima. I like Hiroshima city, it is very friendly and there are many good restaurants. Try the okonomiyaki.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hakone or Hiroshima for one overnight stay with teenagers?

Japantraveller, I think you have given us the perfect solution! Thank you too for your suggestions re luggage...we are going to Disneyland (sigh) after Kyoto, so can easily ship our luggage to the hotel there. I understand that is very easy to do in Japan (wish it was the same the world over!).

Thank you so much

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hakone or Hiroshima for one overnight stay with teenagers?

You are quite welcome.

I know, the luggage shipping service in Japan is fantastic, so safe, and I've never had anything get lost!

Have a great trip!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,968 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hakone or Hiroshima for one overnight stay with teenagers?

Another advantage with a Hiroshima hotel is that there is a thriving retail district (with evening shopping opportunities) between the Hiroshima train station and Peace Park. There's a Uniqlo store at Sun Mall (near Peace Park), plus several department stores in the area, and many independent stores that focus on the teen fashion market. Experiencing how styles differ from home can be a window on deeper cultural differences.

You might also visit the Fukuromachi Elementary School Peace Museum in Hiroshima--it's quite small and part of an operating elementary school.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
175 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hakone or Hiroshima for one overnight stay with teenagers?

Thanks all...overnight in Hiroshima DEFINATELY 'feels' better with teens than Hakone.

9. Re: Hakone or Hiroshima for one overnight stay with teenagers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2011, 08:28