We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sumo tickets

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Topic
Sumo tickets

Hello

We were thinking of going to the Sumo tournament which is on this weekend - 25/26 Sept.

What's the likelihood of buying general admission tickets on the day? Are there usually huge queues?

Thanks!

Yokohama
Level Contributor
834 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sumo tickets

you can purchase online.

http://ent-sumo.pia.jp/en/index.html

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sumo tickets

I don't want to buy before I go and I don't know if I will have access to the Internet in Tokyo.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,160 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sumo tickets

I was at Kokugikan a few days ago. All tickets for the 26th are completely sold out and only a few left for the 25th. Your only chance of getting a ticket is to go early and queue for the same-day ticket. Ticket sale starts at 8 am at the box office.

dc
Level Contributor
58 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sumo tickets

I went to a sumo match last week in tokyo. By the time I got there all of the GA tickets were sold out. In order to get them I think you have to show up early. I did not make it to the site until almost 1:00pm and I do not know what time they sold out at. I had not problem though getting regular tickets when I arrived. They section B tickets as well as cheaper tickets available. They also had section A tickets available for the next day. Basically the tickets that were available ranged between around $50 and $130. If you want to get something cheaper you can try and show up when it opens because they do sell out.

Edited: 22 September 2010, 18:15
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,160 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sumo tickets

>>>I had not problem though getting regular tickets when I arrived. <<<<

Those regular tickets for the 26th (the last day of the tournament) are all sold out now. And only a few left for the 25th.

Ticket availability is posted right in front of the box office, but in japanese only.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,110 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sumo tickets

Hakuho, the Grand Champion, is out to set a new record on the "number of wins in a row", hence the place is packed.

The next best thing is to watch it on TV. It's on NHK Ch. 1 from 4 to 6 pm. Sunday's the last day of the tournament. All bouts will be finished by about 5:40 so there will be time to show the awards ceremony. Watching sumo in hi-definition is almost like being there! (Up close and personal! lol)

Edited: 22 September 2010, 23:21
7. Re: Sumo tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2011, 06:16