I have 5 days in Tokyo in April 2011.
Bringing 2 kids 4 and 6 yrs old and want to avoid Disneyland and the city life in Tokyo. Where should our BASE be?
I know my ideal location is Hokkaido but not sure if an overnight sleeper train will work. Like it there because I can bring the kids to lots of farms, fields of flowers and also chocolate factory.
Aim to educate kids while at the same time just relax:-
1) Is there a fruit or vegetable farm that allows us to stay so that we can live in fresh air and big open space? Watch the stars.
Pluck fruits. Feed the cows. Sleep on futon.
2) Our daily budget is about 10,000 -12,000 yen per night for the whole family excluding food. As we do not really need to eat such lavish meals as shown by Japan Hour Programme in the minshuku or ryokan.
3) Alternatively, is there a village living where there is a minshuku to stay with nice views like a stream or safe bamboo forest treks.
4) Visit a chocolate or cheese factory. Do an art and craft.
5) Lastly but not crucial, if we can accommodate a Dolphin or Whale performance in a Marine Park, that would be great. The kids love the beach too.
I have been to Nara and saw deers and I am not very excited about Temples. Because the kids may find it boring.