We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Japan farm stay

Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Japan farm stay

I have 5 days in Tokyo in April 2011.

Bringing 2 kids 4 and 6 yrs old and want to avoid Disneyland and the city life in Tokyo. Where should our BASE be?

I know my ideal location is Hokkaido but not sure if an overnight sleeper train will work. Like it there because I can bring the kids to lots of farms, fields of flowers and also chocolate factory.

Aim to educate kids while at the same time just relax:-

1) Is there a fruit or vegetable farm that allows us to stay so that we can live in fresh air and big open space? Watch the stars.

Pluck fruits. Feed the cows. Sleep on futon.

2) Our daily budget is about 10,000 -12,000 yen per night for the whole family excluding food. As we do not really need to eat such lavish meals as shown by Japan Hour Programme in the minshuku or ryokan.

3) Alternatively, is there a village living where there is a minshuku to stay with nice views like a stream or safe bamboo forest treks.

4) Visit a chocolate or cheese factory. Do an art and craft.

5) Lastly but not crucial, if we can accommodate a Dolphin or Whale performance in a Marine Park, that would be great. The kids love the beach too.

I have been to Nara and saw deers and I am not very excited about Temples. Because the kids may find it boring.

Thank you,

Kootenays, British...
Level Contributor
405 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Japan farm stay

My son (adult) stayed on a farm in Shikoku but I don't have any contact information for it. He was supervising a school trip and I know there were plenty of activities for kids (a bit older than yours).

We recently stayed in Hagi which has beautiful sea views and activities such as making pottery. Might be a little quiet for youngsters but I wasn't looking at it from that angle.

I'd also suggest you look into areas of Kyushu such as the Mount Aso region. Definitely a lot of farms, hikes, mountain streams and the like. We really enjoyed the Aso Backpackers Hostel (check out my review) but there are lots of choices of type of accommodation.

Hope that helps a little. Oh, and from the sound of what you like in a trip, consider coming to Western Canada sometime!

Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Japan farm stay

Thank you for your reply. After reading some tour brochures, I am interested in Mie and Niigata.

Likely Mie although I have much research to do.

Yes Canada would be a great place to visit. My cousin rented a plot where he plants fruits and vegetables and harvest honey from his bees.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,917 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Japan farm stay

Two farm visits in Honshu worth considering:

Mother Farm in Chiba Prefecture: http://www.motherfarm.co.jp/en/

Koiwai Farm in Iwate Prefecture: http://www.koiwai.co.jp/english/

For Koiwai Farm, Morioka would be a good base. Also in Morioka is Handi Works Square where you can experience some hands-on workshops on making reimen, cookies, pottery and other handicrafts

4. Re: Japan farm stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2011, 06:16