We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kyoto, Hakone and Tokyo

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Kyoto, Hakone and Tokyo

Hi - I am visiting Japan in April this year and plan on spending 3 nights in Kyoto, 1 night in Hakone and 4 nights in Tokyo. I have a few questions to help with my planning:

* What is the best area to stay in Kyoto - is the Citadines Apartments a better location than Hotel Mume?

*Can anybody suggest a good value Japanese Inn in Hakone close to some hot springs??

*Also could anybody suggest a good website where I can book a bullet train ticket to go tokyo-kyoto-hakone-tokyo?

* Is Shinjuku or Ginza/Shiodome a better area to base ourselves in Tokyo?

Yubatake
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Hot Springs & Geysers
Hells of Beppu
Hot Springs & Geysers
Umijigoku
Hot Springs & Geysers
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51,161 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kyoto, Hakone and Tokyo

You can't purchase shinkansen (bullet) train tickets online. "If" you arrange your itinerary to do all of the long distance train travel within 7 calendar days, a 7 day JR pass can be a good value - http://www.japanrailpass.net/ - the pass must be purchased before you arrive in Japan.

Consider staying in Tokyo for the first 4 days, assuming you're arriving in Japan at Tokyo. Activate the pass when you leave Tokyo for Kyoto or Hakone.

IMO - Shinjuku is a better area for a Tokyo base.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kyoto, Hakone and Tokyo

hakone: we stayed at taiseikan in hakone. i think it was about $200pp with 3 guests. it was a great spot near the train and our room was right on top of a river. food was good too.

shinkansen: check hyperdia for times/trip planning. we always booked our seats at the train station with our JR pass day of departure and have never had a problem.

tokyo: choose your base depending on what you have planned. i've never stayed in shinjuku and like ginza. shiodome is a bit out of the way but close to tsukiji market.

3. Re: Kyoto, Hakone and Tokyo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2012, 07:17