We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Japan 20 nights

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Japan 20 nights

Hi all

Planning a trip to Japan in the last week of Sept to the second week of Oct roughly.

Flying from UK to Tokyo.

My girlfriend and I want to see modern and old/natural Japan and finish off the holiday with 6 or 7 nights somewhere relaxing (Okinawa?).

Apart from Tokyo, we were stumped with what to see and so far only decided on:

Tokyo

Mt Fuji

Nikko

Okinawa?

We'd be getting a JR pass to travel internally.

If there was somewhere that anyone would recommend for the end of our trip (the relaxing part) on the mainland (and so would save us £200 each airfare) then we are open to that as well.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Japan 20 nights

Jealous! 20 days is a solid amount of time to see the whole of Japan.

For Modern Japan, I would recommend Tokyo and Osaka. Great sites, food and shopping there.

For Traditional Japan, Kyoto is probably your best bet. Lots of temples and Ryokans located there to not only see, but experience traditional Japan.

If you do not want to go to Okinawa, Hakone is a nice alternative to end your relaxing vacation. It is a town about 90 minutes by train outside of Tokyo that specializes in onsen (traditional Japanese bath). You can stay at establishments that have private onsen that you two can share together. It is very relaxing and the scenery in the area is beautiful.

Hope you have a fantastic time in Japan.

Vancouver Island...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Japan 20 nights

Hakone is definitely a good option, just the hotel rooms are pretty expensive, but I love the place.

If u don't mind to travel all the way to south of Japan, Kyushu is actually a very good option. There are lots of onsen there. Cities like Beppu, Yufuin, Kagoshima, Ibusuki, etc. are very relaxing places to stay. Mt Aso and Sakurashima will let u experience the power of the volcano.

If u don't wanna travel that far, Wakayama is another good option as well, it got white sand beaches and onsen as well. And it's about 2-3hrs away from Osaka by JR. The price of the hotels are more reasonable comparing to Hakone.

Enjoy ur stay at Japan. ^^

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Japan 20 nights

okinawa you'd probably need a car to see the sights but it's quite fun. there's surrounding islands for day trips/overnights via ferry or plane. naoshima is relaxing and quiet but i don't think you can spend 6-7nts there. there's lots of art there and you can take ferries to other nearby islands.

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Japan 20 nights

What do you mean by "Mt. Fuji"?

Just to see it? There are many locations from Kawaguchiko, to Hakone etc.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,147 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Japan 20 nights

Instead of Okinawa consider Hokkaido as your time of visit is beautiful autumn foliage season in Hokkaido.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2014_when.html

…about.com/od/…HokkaidoFallFoliageSpots.htm

Beppu
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Japan 20 nights

If you decide to visit Kyushu, consider visiting Kumamoto - there is a nice castle.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Japan 20 nights

Thanks everyone for your replies - much appreciated!

On the subject of trains, is it safe to say the main routes are covered on the JR pass? Not bothered if we have to pay for a short journey on a quieter route just so long as main routes between the cities are covered.

What is the language barrier like? We traveled to China last year and were able to use small amounts of local language to get by so I assume it will be ok in Japan? I mean small amounts combined with a few English signs!

Thanks In particular:

Georgeamazing: Kyoto looks interesting and definitely worth a visit. Hakone looks like a good alternative to Okinawa so I will look more in depth - I hope to have a fantastic time thanks!

tokyosubway:

I meant the surrounding area and ascending the mountain. Very into walking and the great outdoors so could spend a while walking around the lakes etc.

william512:

Yeah, Hokkaido looks beautiful this time of year and something I'd read being something to check out - will definitely consider - thanks!

HDD43:

We don't mind at all going further south, in fact we were considering some kind of north to south adventure and then get back to Tokyo to fly back to the UK. So Kyushu and Wakayama are possibilities.

Thanks

Chris

8. Re: Japan 20 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 19:19