We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 day itinerary help for April 14-24!!!

Coral Springs...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
10 day itinerary help for April 14-24!!!

Hi-

My husband and I will be in Japan for 10 nights from April 14-24 and would appreciate any advices on our itinerary. Planning this trip is a bit frustrating for us. This is our first time visiting! We were planning on getting the 7 day JR pass for our trip and activating it probably on Sat. April 16 or Sunday. Please advise based on our itinerary below if we should even bother with this 7 day pass or we should pay as we go and get the Japanican tour package for the Kyoto trip.

April 14 - arriving in NRT at 4pm and checking into Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku hotel (we're planning on staying here for 5 nights) - settling into hotel and maybe scope around the area for an hour or two

April 15-18 - Visiting Shibuya, Harajuku, Akiharaba,Yokohama, Ebisu, and Hakone (any other suggestions to places to visit would be greatly appreciated)

April 19-21 - Check out of hotel and head to Kyoto. We want to visit the golden pavilion, Kiyomizudera temple, nishiki market, gion district, and maybe Nijo Castle. And if time permits we might go to Osaka for takoyaki on the 3rd day and from Osaka go back to Tokyo. We're not sure where to stay in Kyoto. Any hotel suggestions? our price range per night would be $100-$150. (japanican has a tour package for train and hotel accomd for about 25,400 yen for 3 days and 2 nights.

April 21-24 - Check back into the Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku hotel and do other misc attractions that we missed

Any suggestions and help with this itinerary would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks!

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
24,602 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 day itinerary help for April 14-24!!!

>>japanican has a tour package for train and hotel accomd for about 25,400 yen for 3 days and 2 nights.<<

This tour is a great deal. The round trip Shinkansen fare costs more (26,440 yen,) so you get 2 nights' hotel stay for absolutely free.

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 day itinerary help for April 14-24!!!

Wow! I couldn't believe the price of this, so I had to go look at it. It really is a great bargain. It doesn't say which hotel they use, but it almost doesn't matter with this price and a short stay.

You can not do this better on your own, a rail pass wouldn't be worth the expense unless you planned to do a LOT of day trips from Tokyo.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,602 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 day itinerary help for April 14-24!!!

They use the Karasuma Hotel for the basic option. You can upgrade it to the New Miyako or Rhiga Royal for 2,600 yen/person. You can also select Kyoto Tokyu, Okura, ANA, and Monterey if you pay more.

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 day itinerary help for April 14-24!!!

Great! The Karasuma is actually very decent now. They have refurnished many rooms, the lobby no longer allows smoking, and they now have non-smoking floors.

Coral Springs...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 day itinerary help for April 14-24!!!

thanks.. I checked into the actual cost through japanican and it would cost us about $765 USD for the train and hotel. I think we will get the 7 day pass since we will be taking day trips from Tokyo to go to hakone, yokohama, Nikko and a day trip from Kyoto to Osaka. Does anyone know of any good hotel in Kyoto for a price range from $100-$150? We just need a place to crash and rest up. Also is it true that the JR pass covers the NEX trip back to NRT airport from Tokyo?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,931 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 day itinerary help for April 14-24!!!

JR pass is valid on NEX. Check - http://travel.rakuten.co.jp/en/ - for hotel rates in Kyoto.

Coral Springs...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 day itinerary help for April 14-24!!!

I found two hotels that are not tood bad. One is in the Gion district called Apa Kyoto Gion Hotel, and ther other is by the JR Kyoto Station called Dormy Inn Premium Kyoto Ekimae. have anyone stayed in either hotel before? And which one would you prefer based on location wise?

Thanks!

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,602 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 day itinerary help for April 14-24!!!

The Apa Hotel is close to a few sights but not very convenient to the rest of Kyoto. Besides, this hotel is old and dated--it was already there when I went to college in Kyoto :-)

The Dormy Inn is near Kyoto Station, so it's very convenient for sightseeing. The hotel is almost brand new. Everything should be nice and clean. Rooms are small--make sure to reserve a twin, (21m2) a double (16m2) would be too small. There is a genuine onsen (hot spring bath) available for guests.

9. Re: 10 day itinerary help for April 14-24!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2012, 11:16