We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing OTC or Rx drugs to Japan - anyone had a problem?

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
760 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing OTC or Rx drugs to Japan - anyone had a problem?

Just reading this on the travel.state.gov site:

"Confiscation of Prescription Drugs and Other Medication: The Japanese government decides which medications may be imported legally into Japan. The Embassy and Consulates of Japan have limited information available and do not have comprehensive lists of specific medications or ingredients.

You can bring up to a two-month supply of allowable over-the-counter medication and up to a two-month supply of allowable vitamins into Japan duty-free. However, it is illegal to bring some over-the-counter medicines commonly used in the United States, including inhalers and some allergy and sinus medications into Japan. Specifically, products that contain stimulants (medicines that contain pseudoephedrine, such as Actifed, Sudafed, and Vicks inhalers) or codeine are prohibited. You can generally bring up to one month's supply of allowable prescription medicine into Japan. You must bring a copy of your doctor's prescription as well as a letter stating the purpose of the drug. However, some U.S. prescription medications cannot be imported into Japan, even when accompanied by a customs declaration and a copy of the prescription. "

Has anyone not been able to bring sudafed, etc. or been asked to show Rx for other meds. Two of us are asthmatics and have inhalers, etc. Plus we always travel with OTC meds like sudafed, etc. Wasn't expecting this to be a problem.

BTW - here is the full link for info. above: …state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1148.html

Thanks!!

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing OTC or Rx drugs to Japan - anyone had a problem?

Sudafed that contains pseudoephedrine is restricted.

Asthma, it depends on which medication you use. I have asthma and prescribed Albuterol and epinephrine are ok.

The main restriction has to do with pseudoephedrine. Consult your doctor to see if there are other alternatives to pseudoephedrine you can bring (there are many).

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
760 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing OTC or Rx drugs to Japan - anyone had a problem?

Thanks tokyosubway. That's what we use are albuterol inhalers and liquid albuterol with a nebulizer. So, if I just have the Rx label that comes with the medicine will that be ok or do I need an actual copy of the drs. Rx? Do you suspect they will even ask for it? We are traveling with my son's friend who takes growth hormones. Since he will need to carry on the liquid vials as well as the needles, etc. he does have a written prescription from the dr. to bring with him. This is what prompted me to look up the meds info. and then I noticed this other info.

3. Re: Bringing OTC or Rx drugs to Japan - anyone had a problem?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 14:18