We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon! Izu or Hakone?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
23 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon! Izu or Hakone?

My future husband and I are traveling to Japan in August 2011 for our honeymoon. We will be visiting Tokyo and Kyoto, and either Izu or Hakone in between for a night.

I have been looking around a ton and found a couple places we are really interested in:

Asebino Ryokan, Izu. Looks beauuuutiful! Can't find much information in English on this place, or reviews that are in English.

Kikuya Ryokan, Izu. Seems a bit more authentic than the others, which I like. Really like the green scenery and large windows around the place..

However, I am curious how much extra time it would take to travel into central Izu rather than just going to Hakone. (Don't want to spend toooo much time on travel)

Hakone Ginyu, Hakone. Love the view from the room! Looks absolutely stunning!

Kinnotake Ryokan, Hakone. Another amazing looking place, neat room set ups!

Does anyone have any information/advice on these places? Or suggestions on similar places?

We are really looking for something a bit remote, with lots of nature surrounding, and an en suite open air bath! Preferably something under 70,000JPY..

Thanks!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,832 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon! Izu or Hakone?

Asebino Ryokan (Central Izu) 谷川の湯 あせび野: 4.8 average scores out of 5 according to 57 reviews posted on "Jalan" Japanese travel site. Very good views from onsen at the mountain valley river. Good service

Kikuya Ryokan (Shuzenji, Central Izu) 伊豆修善寺温泉 湯回廊 菊屋: 4.6 average scores according to 217 reviews posted on the above site. Historic yet very clean. One of the most renowned novelists in modern Japan Soseki Natsume stayed at this Ryokan. Many different types of onsen. Food Western/Japanese styles. Free coffee & tea at a common space.

Hakone Ginyu. 武蔵野本館 箱根吟遊 Even I know this ryokan, but unfortunately it's fully booked and I can't find the reviews on Jalan (other internet sites are full of praise about their service)

Hakone Kinnotake 箱根 金乃竹: 4.5 average scores according to 41 reviews posted. A hidden gem (10 rooms). Good food, good onsen, good vierws, somewhat small-ish rooms and a few reports of unpleasant minor errors committed by young staffs, corrected and sincere apologies from the ryokan.

Both Central Izu and Hakone are great places in the hills. If you go down the coast of Shimoda, you have ryokans with an ocean view also, I think.

Hakone is more near and Izu (Central or South) are further down, but it really depends on the transports you take.

By August, I hope that the Odoriko JR express service resumes. If not, you'd have to take a Hikari or Kodama to Odawara (also an interesting place with a castle) and change for Hakone, or to Atami or Mishima and then change to get further south to Izu.

Please copy and paste the Japanese Ryokan name and google map for the detailed locations.

Edited: 17 April 2011, 07:15
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
23 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon! Izu or Hakone?

Thanks so much for the information, Yobeekool!

I am noticing places are starting to book fast, so I wanted to book ours soon!

You seem to be well informed on the travel in Japan so I'll ask you one more question;

Neither of us speak any Japanese, will we have a hard time finding our way around/asking people for help with directions if we need them?

I was thinking of taking a 6 week beginners class beforehand just to familiarize myself with the language..

Kootenays, British...
Level Contributor
405 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon! Izu or Hakone?

I recommend Izu over Hakone; but both have their attractions.

Predictably, the more touristy an area is the more likely you will be able to get by with English. For example, the announcements on the Shinkansen trains are in English (as well as Japanese) as are the notices. However, once you are off the beaten track a bit it gets increasingly difficult to communicate in English only (but it can be done).

We have previous postings about speaking a bit of Japanese with a few tips: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294232-i525-k4153…

I find that having even a few phrases enriches the entire experience as well as showing courtesy towards your host country. Your plan to take a 6 week class is an excellent idea.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,832 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon! Izu or Hakone?

Getting around Japan wouldn't be difficult for anyone. :-)

Yes, some phrases of local language would definitely enrich our travel experiences !

Shinkonsan irasshai ! (Welcome, honeymooners! )

Edited: 19 April 2011, 00:20
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
23 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon! Izu or Hakone?

Thanks!

I'm thinking we're gonna go with somewhere in Izu.. Even if traveling takes a while, it will be enjoyable on the train, looking at the scenery.

6. Re: Honeymoon! Izu or Hakone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 05:15