We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kyoto/Gion district- Affordable and good dinner restaurant?

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
348 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Kyoto/Gion district- Affordable and good dinner restaurant?

We will be in Gion district around dinner time. Can you recommend some good yet affordable restaurants to eat in or near Hoon?

Kootenays, British...
Level Contributor
405 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kyoto/Gion district- Affordable and good dinner restaurant?

I'm not really going to be much help. There are so many good restaurants in the area. We picked one that had a sign on the street saying 'English Menu'. Went down a corridor off a very narrow street. It was a small Izakaya and we sat at the bar. The English on the menu was pretty much a fiction but gave you enough information to order. I had yakatori and some of the best ramen I've ever had there - great saki too. An couple from New York came in and we told them how good it was. They promptly ordered exactly what we had. I told the owner he'd have to call that the Gai-Jinn special.

The couple that ran the place were very friendly and we had a good conversation despite their limited english and our very limited Japanese.

My point is that once you find a few foods that you like you will find lots of small interesting restaurants that will give you a real 'Japanese experience'. Plus, in Gion, about 6 PM look in the cabs - you will often see a Geisha or a Maiko heading off to an engagement.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kyoto/Gion district- Affordable and good dinner restaurant?

There are hundreds of small restaurants in Gion and Shijo Kawaramachi (across the river). Many of them would cost you 5000 yen for lunch and 10,000 yem over for dinner leaving you satisfied. But there are some where you eat something delicious enough under 1,000 yen for lunch. So the question is, how affordable, and what kind of food?

You might want a Japanese cuisine bar Kappo style. Or, full course Kaiseki dinner. Or, more family-style Japanese food. There could be yakitori bars, tonkatsu restaurants, kyoto pickles and vegetables all you can cafes, yuba and tofu bean curd all you can eats, japanese barbeques, okonmiyaki bar, okinawa restaurant, sushi (conveyored and non conveyored), etc etc.

Or, probably Italian, French, Spanish, Indian, Mexican restauramts or Hamburger / Pizzas all within the area.

The price ranges. Under 3000? 5000? 7000? 10,000 yen ?

I've been to Tagoto in Shijo Kawaramachi for Kyoto lunch. The price is inexpensive for a Kaiseki restaurant and is not a Michelin star winning, but the atmosphere is freindly and relaxing. But I think any restauramt in Gion area would be just fine (affordable prices - again, how affordable?- are the difficult issue here).

Edited: 28 April 2011, 00:42
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kyoto/Gion district- Affordable and good dinner restaurant?

To give you an idea, there are over 1600 eating places just in Gion district listed in an internet guide based on reviews. Around the 3,000 yen criteria for lunch, I hit upon 4 pages 60 hits of restaurants with varieties of food. The link will show you the first page.

…tabelog.com/kyoto/…

I've been to a couple of restaurants there, but unfortunately it's difficult for me to tell you the exact name and location.

Edited: 28 April 2011, 01:01
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kyoto/Gion district- Affordable and good dinner restaurant?

These matches the 2000-3000 yen criteria.

…tabelog.com/kyoto/…

These are under 2000 yen

…tabelog.com/kyoto/…

Edited: 28 April 2011, 01:09
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kyoto/Gion district- Affordable and good dinner restaurant?

Please click on the numbers below to see the other pages within the same price range.

Edited: 28 April 2011, 01:12
Cincinnati
Level Contributor
348 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kyoto/Gion district- Affordable and good dinner restaurant?

Thanks everyone!

Yobe- this is a great website, thanks!

7. Re: Kyoto/Gion district- Affordable and good dinner restaurant?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 02:16