We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2000 yen notes

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
822 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
2000 yen notes

I've just taken delivery of an order of Japanese banknotes for my trip to Kyoto later in the year. Included in the order are 9 x 2000 yen notes. I understand that these are legitimate notes, but I didn't see them anywhere during my last trip and I wonder if they are widely accepted, or whether I should return them to the bank for other denominations? Thanks for any advice!

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Likely To Sell Out
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,226 Reviews
from US$143.10*
Special Offer
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
111 Reviews
from US$55.40*
US$73.90
Mt. Fuji Day Trip Including Lake Ashi...
954 Reviews
from US$129.30*
Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara
Level Contributor
8,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2000 yen notes

Like you imagine, 2000-yen notes are seldom, if ever, seen these days. Not that they are totally out of circulation though. I may be wrong, but most of the vending machines on the street or at railroad stations don’t take them. So you’d possibly like to exchange them for 1000-yen notes at your hotel. Yes, they’re usable wherever it is you shop/dine.

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2000 yen notes

I received a bunch of 2,000 yen in the same kind of bank exchange. They are accepted everywhere, it was not a problem.....except like Shot said....not in all vending machines.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara
Level Contributor
8,862 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2000 yen notes

Seems like our government still wants to circulate 2000-yen bank notes among overseas tourists, JTT. ;) Umm, not sure why, but I don't quite like the idea of having to use that money bill. Yes, I think I know lots of the Japanese tourists find 20-dollar bills go a long way when in the US. OTOH, once back in here they don't hesitate paying in 10K-yen notes even for small things.

OP, FWIW, our bank notes are not water-proof, so if you ever have'em got wet you may end up having to iron them, which I did in the past.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2000 yen notes

I've noticed this is your 2nd trip. Are you exchanging most cash before you go or do you exchange it when you get there? I was going to check out travelex rate today. What would you suggest?

Durham
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2000 yen notes

I don't think I've ever had a 2000 yen note in all the times I've been to Japan.

As for getting Japanese notes wet, mine always remained presentable enough (I hope) after a dunking at Zeniarai Benten!

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2000 yen notes

2000 yen notes are legal currency, but useless. They don't work in any vending machine, including train stations, which can be a hassle. 1000 yen notes are much better.

BTW, I have not seen a 2000 yen note in general circulation for at least the past two years.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,149 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2000 yen notes

I have not seen a 2,000 Yen note myself. It should be easy to break it though at places that accept cash.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
822 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2000 yen notes

Shasuu, I bought my yen here in Australia before travelling to Japan. I generally buy online through Australia Post - you always get a better rate than at Travelex and it's usually better than the banks as well, plus there's no commission. You pay by BPay and it gets delivered to your local Post Office for collection around 3 days later. Have a look at the Australia Post website vs Travelex and the banks and see where you can get the best deal.

Now is not a great time to buy though, as the AUS$ has dropped in the last week. I got in just before the drop, when AUS$1.00 = JPY 84.45, but now you'd only get JPY 76.99. It's not that big a deal if you're not exchanging large amounts of money. but if you're not in a hurry it might be worth waiting to see if the exchange rate improves.

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 2000 yen notes

Thanks mumplusone that sounds a great idea I've checked it out and will definitely go that way also.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2000 yen notes

I've never seen one. If I ever get one I'd treasure it for it's oddity rather than it's face value.

Cheers.