We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Tokyo -- 5 day itinerary ”

houston
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
Save Topic
First time in Tokyo -- 5 day itinerary ”

We're 2 adults and 2 kids(7/12) years...Planning to travel Japan 5 days thinking...Please advise me here We're departing from USA...Arriving in Tokyo in the afternoon basically that day will go for resting...Day 2, 3 ,4 three days I'm planning to stay in Tokyo is that will be ok or 2 days will be good enough...Can we take tour hip hop busses to explore the city or JR train pass will be better idea or renting a Car?....

Then after that as per u advise we will spen 2 or 3 days in Tokyo and then next morning going to Koyoto via train...I will arrive there in the afternoon...Can we utilize that day for some sightseeing?...Then we'll be in Koyoto for 2 days...Is that will be enough?...Then 3rd day we'll be back to Tokyo and from Tokyo will go go Bangkok and phuket...Please arrange my plan..Thanks a lot.

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
939 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Tokyo -- 5 day itinerary ”

A personal view is that Kyoto is great for first exposure to Japan, that is if the culture and history of Japan are of prime interest. Two days there would give you time to see some of Kyoto's highlights without stress.

Consider flying to Kansai airport (KIX), which has efficient train and bus links to Kyoto, and departing Japan from Tokyo (Narita is the main international airport). This way you would see Kyoto first.

Depending on the type of train that you take between Kyoto and Tokyo (the Nozomi shinkansen is fastest) the trip should take up just a few hours, certainly less than half a day. You will be able to use the rest of the day for touring. Leave your luggage at the hotel or station.

Tokyo is easily traversed using the trains. The JR Yamanote line runs frequently in a circle, both ways, so provided your Tokyo hotel is not too far from a Yamanote line station, Shinjuku for example, you will be able to move around with ease. An adult day pass for JR lines cost us Y730 when last there.

Homework on Tokyo's attractions will help you to focus on different parts of the city for each day or half day. There is plenty to fill three days first time in Tokyo.

Edited: 01 September 2011, 21:07
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,334 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Tokyo -- 5 day itinerary ”

If you are flying into/out of Tokyo, I think you should just stick to Tokyo and the surrounding area instead of spending 3 hours each way going back and forth, particularly since you have kids and all of you will need to recover from jet lag.

There will be plenty to see and do to keep you occupied for at least 3 days in Tokyo itself. Near Tokyo, the two most popular day trips are Hakone and Nikko. Hakone will probably be more interesting with boat rides, views of Mt. Fuji, and possibly an onsen (hot spring) ryokan visit either as a day trip or overnight trip. You can get the Hakone Free Pass to save money.

The Tokyo city JR day passes or metro (subway) passes generally don't pay off. It's better to consider Suica-NEX which offers big discount on the Narita Express airport train ride and also Suica which is extremely convenient vs buying individual tickets.

Suica-NEX:

www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/index.html

Hakone Free Pass:

www.odakyu.jp/english/freepass/hakone_01.html

Good site for initial research:

http://www.japan-guide.com

There aren't many flights at all direct from the US to KIX. If you really want to visit Kyoto, then consider this Japanican deal which is even cheaper than a JR Pass:

www.japanican.com/tours/tourdetail.aspx…

houston
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Tokyo -- 5 day itinerary ”

Thanks for ur responses...Really appreciate...We'll arrive in Japan Nareta airport...The day we'll arrive and the 3 full days in Tokyo...Then 4th day we'll depart for Kyoto...Then I was thinking 2 full days in Kyoto and 3rd day we'll depart frm Kyoto to Tokyo...

What do u suggest should I keep 3 full days in Kyoto that will be better??...And for Tokyo 3 days will be good enough because I was to spend 2 days in Tokyo but I'm thinking now as per ur advise there is much more to see in Tokyo so we'll keep 3 days in Tokyo..So basic question is 3/3 days each city without travel day seperate will be ok?...How long it will take from the fastest train from Tokyo to Kyoto?...

Thanks.

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Tokyo -- 5 day itinerary ”

Have you checked the cost of a trip to Kyoto? An economical choice be a train/hotel package from japanican. Otherwise, a JR Pass and RT tickets work out about the same. You'd save both time and money if you could return home from KIX or connect to your NRT flight from ITM. Should you decide about $1000 in train tickets alone is too much, you could easily and more affordably enjoy the areas nearer to Tokyo recommended previously.

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Tokyo -- 5 day itinerary ”

Www.hyperdia.com for train schedule and price. You pay the total.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,334 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Tokyo -- 5 day itinerary ”

Based on your plan, I can't tell if you have 5 or 6 days? Your initial post said 5 days, but your follow-up post says 6 days? If you have 6 days, then split your time between Tokyo and Kyoto.

I would use the Japanican deal instead of the JR Pass. The Japanican voucher allows you to ride Nozomi which is the fastest train between Tokyo and Kyoto. Using the JR Pass, you can only ride Hikari (forget the slow Kodama) trains that are 15-20 minutes slower over a 2.5 hours. For transfer to/from NRT, go with Suica-NEX and you would end up with change to spare after the Tokyo-Kyoto and Tokyo-NRT roundtrip vs the 7-day JR Pass.

If you are flying from Houston, hopefully, you are on the Continental IAH-NRT direct.

houston
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Tokyo -- 5 day itinerary ”

Thanks ya'll for ur helpful advices...I'm sorry little confused here because I think this is my first time and no knowledge at all... Sammyfloyd yes I post first 5 days itinerary but I haven't purchased the tickets yet so as per ya'll advices I'm asking u guys 3 days each city will be fine so I can change my plan and keep 3/3 days each city instead for 2 days in Koyoto and 3 days in Tokyo..This is what I was thinking to do initially...

Stll I haven't received firm response how many days will be better in each city???...Next I have no idea how much it will cost from Tokyo to Kyoto..I just checked in Hyperdia it's costing me ow each person $103.00...So we're 2 adults and 2 kids(12/7)...How much it will cost with fastest train from Tokyo to Kyoto?...Seems very expensive appx $900.00 whole family....

Now you guys talk about Japanican deal what is that and is that will be cheaper and how that works please let me know?...

I know we gonna arrive in NRT airport...and depart also from NRT airport...If I try which airport will be the best option to visit tokyo and Kyoto...I can choose only one airport not two diffrent...Yes we'll be on CO direct.

Thanks a lot.

Edited: 06 September 2011, 05:12
houston
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Tokyo -- 5 day itinerary ”

I just checked this Japanican website and this is the tour I found for 3 days.....Sunrise Highlight -Mt. Fuji, Hakone, Kyoto & Nara- Round Trip (3-Days)...Costing me appx $900.00p/person....I think this will be more expensive then go by train four of us and explore our own in Kyoto...

Please help me here...

I don't think this is economical at all....Need ur help to suggest.

Thanks.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,334 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in Tokyo -- 5 day itinerary ”

The 3/3 split should work fine in my opinion. You won't feel too rushed visiting either city. Since you haven't bought your tickets, if you can afford an extra couple of days, you will see even more.

To use the e-voucher, just follow the online directions at the Japanican link proivded above. For Suica-NEX, you have to purchase at NRT's JR Travel Service Center at the train's platform level when you arrive.

While the total cost of rail travel seems expensive, you need to think of it as getting roundtrip tickets between Tokyo and Osaka as air tickets. Shinkansen is extremely comfortable vs train travel in America and punctual.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,334 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in Tokyo -- 5 day itinerary ”

The Sunrise Highlight Tour is apparently a guided tour with accommodation included. That's why it's much more expensive.

You should choose "E-Voucher for Kyoto Bullet Train Open Ticket Package & Kyoto Sightseeing One-day Pass". Look at the "Other Options" below should you want accommodation included.