We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

awaji island

Seremban, Malaysia
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
awaji island

I will be in Nada Ward, Kobe in February. I would like to go to Awaji Island in a day perhaps. But I don't know how to arrange and to get access to these places. Can somebody tell me what should I take? The places are: Nada Kuroiwa Suisenkyo, Keino Matsubara Beach, Hakudon earthquake memorial park, Awaji Island Akashi Bridge Kaikyo National Park and Awaji Highway Oasis. Please, if the places are impossible to reach in a day, where I should then? Thank you..

Edited: 03 December 2011, 12:10
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: awaji island

There are regular buses departing from Sannomiya bus terminal in Kobe, stopping at a bus stop on the expressway at Maiko (above JR Maiko station and Near Sanyo Maiko Koen station) that goes across the bridge.

It's not difficult to visit several places noted in one day, especially if you drive your own car). If not, many destinations are dispersed on the island and involves local bus changes and timetable reading that are quite beyond the scope of explanation if you don't read Japanese.

Below is my attempt at explanation.

First, check out these:

highway bus map: www.awaji-kotsu.co.jp/bus/introduce.html

local route map: www.awaji-kotsu.co.jp/bus/loc_map_big.html. The buses are infrequent so you should plan beforehand and use taxi to save time. I might recommend taking an express bus directly to Sumoto in central-west Awaji Island (awaji-kotsu.co.jp/bus/…sumoto-tsuna.pdf), and visiting Keino Matsubara and Nada Kuroiwa Suisenkyo by bus. If you think you have spare time, then you might visit Hokutan Earthquake Memorial Park.

Perhaps you might ride the express bus to Hokutan InterChange (北淡IC), then swith bus to get to Shinsai Kinen Koen Mae (震災記念公園前), then travel to Tsuna (津名) then switch a bus to Sumoto (洲本).

From Sumoto, travel to Keino Matsubara or Nada Kuroiwa Suisenkyo (Nearest stop should be 来川, read Kurukawa I believe).

- 震災記念公園 Hokutan Shinsai Kinen Koen (North-West Awaji Island)

Accessed by orange Nishiura-Ichinomiya line (西浦一宮線) from Hokutan Highway InterChange, Tsuna, Iwaya.

www.awaji-navi.jp/kanko_taizen_contents.php…

Bus timetable: awaji-kotsu.co.jp/bus/download/nishi-ichi.pdf

- 鹿野松原 Keino Matsubara (South-West Awaji Island): Goshikihama bus center. Accessed by light green Toshi Line (都志線) or light blue Torikai Line (鳥飼線)from Sumoto.

Bus timetable: awaji-kotsu.co.jp/bus/…tori-tsushi-naga.pdf

- 灘黒岩水仙郷 Nada Kuroiwa Suisenkyo (South-East Awaji Island)

Accessed by purple Kaminada Line (上灘線) from Sumoto.

awaji-kotsu.co.jp/bus/download/yura-nada.pdf

Seremban, Malaysia
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: awaji island

Thanks yobeekool. i need to work it out to understand, but your info really helps. :-)

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: awaji island

Yobeekool, is there still a taxi service on Awaji?

If so, sometimes you can hire a taxi for several hours to drive you around to the places you want to see. I've done this before, and the price was actually less than renting a car.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: awaji island

Yes, there is still a taxi service operated by Awaji Kotsu.

awaji-kotsu.co.jp/awaji-taxi/reservation.html

Thanks for reminding. There should be taxis waiting at the marked places within Awaji island. Perhaps you can reserve the taxi to come and pick you up at certain points.

Edited: 04 December 2011, 20:19
Seremban, Malaysia
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: awaji island

Oh, it is easily if I go by taxi then. By right, approximately how much would it charge for a day? Or is it depends on where we want to go?

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: awaji island

I'm not even sure about that cost now, it's been about 5 years since I've done that. You can get assistance from the Tourist Information Centers. They seem to be everywhere, but especially in larger train stations.

Other sources:

http://www.feel-kobe.jp/_en/

www.hyogo-tourism.jp/english/area/awaji.html

There are also a couple of ferry lines that go from the Kobe area out to Awaji.

JNTO has some good information about Awaji, and this PDF is a nice document with transportation options:

jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/pdf/pg-606.pdf

7. Re: awaji island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2012, 10:17