We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rakuten Travel sold 20% higher than hotel price list to me

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Rakuten Travel sold 20% higher than hotel price list to me

I have used many agents for hotel reservation such as Agoda, Booking.com, JAPANiCAN etc. All of these agents always offer cheaper price or sometime hotel list price. I made reservation with Rakuten Travel for Akan Tsuruga Bessou Hinanoza hotel in Hokkaido on 23-29 December 2011.

I stayed two nights in Uminoza room. I stayed four nights at Amanoza room.

Hotel list price for Uminoza room is 69,300 Yen for two persons per night but Rakuten Travel sold 79,980Yen. Rakuten Travel sold 10,380 Yen higher than hotel price list to me for 2 night.

Hotel list price for Amanoza room is 77,700 Yen for two persons per night but Rakuten Travel sold 94,500 Yen. Rakuten Travel sold 67,200 Yen higher than hotel price list to me for 4 night.

I could save 77,880 Yen(around USD1,000) if I make booking direct to the hotel.

Hotel price list www.tsuruga-g.com/price/price_hinanoza.html

Rakuten Travel price …rakuten.co.jp/portal/…

I knew the hotel list price when I stayed at the hotel so I am very disappoint with Rakuten Travel. I do not expect to get the lowest price from Rakuten Travel but the price from famous agent like Rakuten Travel should be FAIR and RIGHTEOUS. So everyone should be careful to check the price before make booking with Rakuten Travel. It was my mistake to trust and believe their reputation and honor. I have written email about the price to Rakuten Travel but they said they cannot do anything and they still sell that price.

Likely To Sell Out
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
3,989 reviews
from US$156.90*
Mt. Fuji Day Trip Including Lake Ashi...
899 reviews
from US$129.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
862 reviews
from US$66.50*
3-Day Mt Fuji, Kyoto and Nara Rail...
133 reviews
from US$586.20*
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,221 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rakuten Travel sold 20% higher than hotel price list to me

A small misspelling is no big deal. There is really no need to remove your post in my opinion since there have been several responses about your issue already.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294232-i525-k5037…

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rakuten Travel sold 20% higher than hotel price list to me

I hope you can find a great bargain in the future. Good luck!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,656 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rakuten Travel sold 20% higher than hotel price list to me

I'm sorry that you got a bad deal.

My experience has been that Rakuten often has lower prices than are available on the hotel's website. But we should advise people to always check both Rakuten and the hotel's website.

It's possible that hotels in northern Japan are cutting their rates in response to the downturn in business. If that theory is correct, it might be that the hotel is cutting its rates, but Rakuten is still selling rooms at the old price.

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rakuten Travel sold 20% higher than hotel price list to me

That is so frustrating!

When I've used Rakuten it's been when I couldn't find available rooms during a busy season, and they still had rooms listed. The rate was quite high, but they had purchased a block of rooms, and it was the only way I could get a room where I wanted it, so I paid.

I'm sorry this was such a bad experience....and a lot of money! And thank you for the warning about checking prices.

5. Re: Rakuten Travel sold 20% higher than hotel price list to me

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2013, 10:23