We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Japan honeymoon in May- advice needed!

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Japan honeymoon in May- advice needed!

Hi all,

We've just booked tickets to Tokyo (via a few days in Hong Kong) for mid May and will have 2 weeks to spend in Japan.

Having never been we have little idea of what to expect and would love some suggestions for an itinerary, advice with trains/ travel and places to stay. We're not big into shopping, would love a bit of excitement and culture and to see some amazing sights.

Are there any experts out there who can give us some tips?

London
Level Contributor
456 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Japan honeymoon in May- advice needed!

This is one huge, huge topic - plenty of info here so worth browsing around recent topics. There are options such as the JR pass if you want to travel around. Out of Tokyo there are plenty of places to get to. Typical places to look up in Tokyo are Shibuya, Shinjuku, Akihabara, Ginza and Roppongi (the later is not so much my choice, but plenty of options for westeners).

There's some info on what's on in Tokyo here:

http://metropolis.co.jp/

Beyond that typical places to see are Nikko, Kamakura, Yokohama and Hakone, close-ish to Tokyo.

Beyond that there's Kyoto, Nara, Osaka, Hiroshima, Takayama and Kanazawa which will give you a wider taste of Japan. It's one huge, huge topic as you can probably see from the activity here.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
745 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Japan honeymoon in May- advice needed!

Firstly, congratulations on your wedding. You have chosen a beautiful place for your honeymoon. :)

There is so much to see and do in Japan that's there's no definitive answer about the "best" way to spend your time. The Japan Guide website http://www.japan-guide.com/ gives a comprehensive guide to each part of Japan and is a great place to start. Be aware that you'll start making a "must see" list and then realise that it would take months to get through it all! Not a problem - you'll just have to go back again for another visit, or two or three...

You could certainly spend your entire 14 days based in Tokyo, with some day or overnight trips thrown in. However, if you're happy to travel around, I'd maybe split the trip 5 days in Tokyo (with day trips to Nikko or Kamakura or both), 4 days travelling the loop through Matsumoto, Takayama and Kanazawa, then 5 days in Kyoto (maybe with day trips to Nara and Hiroshima/Miyajima). But you may find other itineraries much more to your taste. The experts on here (and I am definitely not one of them - just another tourist who loves Japan) are really helpful, but you'll need to come up with a bit of a plan first.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Japan honeymoon in May- advice needed!

Tokyo, with day trips to Nikko and Kamamkura. Hakone if the weathers good, then down to Kyoto with a day trip to Nara and an overnight stay in Myajima and a visit to Hiroshima.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
125 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Japan honeymoon in May- advice needed!

since you have 2 weeks to spare & u interested in cultures, would definitely suggest u go Kyoto (2-3days) and Nara (day trip frm Kyoto), Mt Koya as well for 1wk, then go further down to Osaka, Kobe & Hiroshima depends on how compact u wan it 2be

Then bal 1wk for Tokyo & its nearby attractions eg Kamakura (1 day trip), Nikko & Hakone propose 2day trips each & if u wan to see Mt Fuji then probably plan in a 2days trip to the 5 lakes as well

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Japan honeymoon in May- advice needed!

Thanks for all the adivce guys, we're starting to pull our itinerary together now! We did have a bit pf a pipe dream about doing a couple of days of spring skiing - does anyone know how likely it is that there will be any ski resorts still open around 12/13th May or will they pretty much all have closed by then? Ideally somewhere in Honshu within a couple of hours of Tokyo... I've read that some have stayed open into May the last few years so hoping we might get lucky.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Japan honeymoon in May- advice needed!

Hi there One suggestion I would recommend is to spend a night in a Buddhist temple in Koyasan. It was one of the highlights of my trip to Japan. Its one of those very authentic japanese experiences from the vegan dinner and breakfast which is usually included in the price to getting up at the crack of dawn to watch the monks pray. Koyasan also has the largest buddhist cemetery in Japan and its a very surreal experience to walk through it at night - it is semi lit with lanterns. Japan is a great choice for a honeymoon. It really is one of those countries that has everything going for it. Great transportation, friendly people, good food and fantastic sites.

Have a wonderful time

angie

www.angietravels.com

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,895 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Japan honeymoon in May- advice needed!

You might want to post your skiing question here - http://www.snowjapanforums.com/

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,437 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Japan honeymoon in May- advice needed!

I’m not sure whether or not there’s any places for your springtime skiing experiences within the distance of a couple hours’ train/bus journey from Tokyo. These take a lot longer reaching than that, but well-known off-piste venues, yes, I repeat 'off-piste,' do exist in the Japan Alps Mountains. Yet, the biggest problem will be whether or not you like the idea of having to bring your own ski boards like local skiers. Anyway, for your future references, see the following:

Tateyama:

www.youtube.com/watch…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb-Hm6UqShg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Iz0uPLfz4I

It’s been quite a while since I came here to enjoy springtime-skiing for the first time, but I still remember how I was overwhelmed by the grandeur. If you hit Tateyama in May to see Snow-Corridor or do the alpine leg, maybe you’ll see a number of skiers while on board a bus or off from it at Bidagahara/ Murodo or somewhere in between. There’s a T-bar lift on the *slope called Raichozawa. You’d be tempted to join the skiers when you see they're having a good time of it.

Tsugaike (Hakuba) for Helicopter Ski Tour:

www.youtube.com/watch…

Never been on board to go up away on a helo, but the ski piste down below are quite familiar to me.

Senjojiki (Central Alps):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Vvl2G7S5A

Looks interesting, but I've never been here myself. So I know I better not comment...if allowed, I'd say this venue is relatively small in size and grandeur, compared to Tateyama.

Edited: 28 February 2012, 20:17
9. Re: Japan honeymoon in May- advice needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2013, 09:22